New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #71  
Regarding the earlier discussion of having more avenues for larger tractor owners on TBN just want to express that though my tractor use is not even slightly close to yours I have very much enjoyed seeing into your world of tractors, farming, etc. Also your clarity and openness is much appreciated. Hopefully there will be more of your type of owners.

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor
Regarding the earlier discussion of having more avenues for larger tractor owners on TBN just want to express that though my tractor use is not even slightly close to yours I have very much enjoyed seeing into your world of tractors, farming, etc. Also your clarity and openness is much appreciated. Hopefully there will be more of your type of owners.

Thanks, friend. I agree and wish TBN would open up more avenues for larger tractor owners. They have to a degree. The Haying forum seems like it’s filling up with larger tractor owners.
Although mostly self-taught, I have learned from others and figured I would share my little world of farming & property maintenance experiences so others can learn & see what it’s like.

Last edited:
   / New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #74  
Hay Dude - Nice rig!

I think Hay Dude is a perfect guy to actually answer the question of why "big" farmers aren't on TBN. I've watched Hay Dude (and a few others) defend how and why he completes projects to a bunch of opinionated arm-chair contractors/farmers. Who wants to work all day and log-on for that? Some guy in another part of the country griping that you did something wrong or his way would be much better/cheaper/efficient. When it's your hobby, the chatter is tolerable, understandable and helpful (sometimes). But not when it's your profession.
I am in the too big for this site and too small for NewAgTalk class.

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #75  
Couple comments - the comparable Kubota to the Challenger is the M7. M7 with CVT weight, per Tractor Data, is about 1,000 pounds heavier. I have a M7 and like your Challenger, suspended front axle, double suspended cab, a whole different animal vs the M135GX I traded in. Also 50 km/hr top end, the European speed limit for tractors although my gps reads 35 mph/58 km/hr.

One suggestion for fuel filters - do not use substitute filters. I have a stack of C6.6 injectors in my souvenir display. Our pre-production machines in customer hands did fine, sold to customers who quickly failed injectors. They serviced the machines, purchased as used from dealers, and replaced fuel filters with what an auto parts store said was interchange. We worked with filter manufacturer to develop a media that would filter fine enough to protect injectors at the higher injection pressures. I have one set that tested fine after 2,000 hours of validation testing, then sold to a customer and failed injectors in 30 hours. What did you do? Well, went to parts store and bought what they said would fit because Cat wanted too much. I okayed dealer replacing, telling customer okay, this time I’ll cover, but there is a reason the book says use only Cat filter. We have no control over what others will sell, nor do we give our proprietary info to them.

Couple comments - the comparable Kubota to the Challenger is the M7. M7 with CVT weight, per Tractor Data, is about 1,000 pounds heavier. I have a M7 and like your Challenger, suspended front axle, double suspended cab, a whole different animal vs the M135GX I traded in. Also 50 km/hr top end, the European speed limit for tractors although my gps reads 35 mph/58 km/hr.

One suggestion for fuel filters - do not use substitute filters. I have a stack of C6.6 injectors in my souvenir display. Our pre-production machines in customer hands did fine, sold to customers who quickly failed injectors. They serviced the machines, purchased as used from dealers, and replaced fuel filters with what an auto parts store said was interchange. We worked with filter manufacturer to develop a media that would filter fine enough to protect injectors at the higher injection pressures. I have one set that tested fine after 2,000 hours of validation testing, then sold to a customer and failed injectors in 30 hours. What did you do? Well, went to parts store and bought what they said would fit because Cat wanted too much. I okayed dealer replacing, telling customer okay, this time I’ll cover, but there is a reason the book says use only Cat filter. We have no control over what others will sell, nor do we give our proprietary info to them.

Back in 2010 the competing model offered by Kubota was an M135X, which is what I had and sold to buy my Challenger MT535B. Both my Challenger and my Kubota are 2010 models.

The M7 is a newer machine. It wasn’t offered until 2014.
The Challenger MT535B was discontinued in 2011.

Point I’m trying to make is my Challenger is a much better machine than my Kubota M135X ever was and they were competitors in 2010.

Those superiorities are very helpful to my farming operation.

Hear you on the fuel filters. I purchase mine from AGCO dealer. Would you think those were inferior? Or would they be up to CAT standards? I am guessing my tractor was originally sold at a CAT/Challenger dealer.

/ New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #77  
2010 the competing model offered by Kubota was an M135X, which is what I had and sold to buy my Challenger MT535B.
The Agco Challenger equivalent to the MX135X was the Challenger MT475B. The MT535B is the next frame size up tractor compared to the M135X or the MT475B. In your situation the larger framed tractor fits your needs much better. Kubota is not known for the best ergonomics or cutting edge technology in their larger machines.

Challenger Test MT475B

Kubota Test

The Agco Challenger equivalent to the MX135X was the Challenger MT475B. The MT535B is the next frame size up tractor compared to the M135X or the MT475B. In your situation the larger framed tractor fits your needs much better. Kubota is not known for the best ergonomics or cutting edge technology in their larger machines.

Challenger Test MT475B

Kubota Test
I would respectfully disagree with your comparison.

The M135X and the Challenger MT535B are both 135 HP, so that makes them VERY comparable.
The Challenger MT475B is 124HP and makes it more comparable to my Kubota M126X.

I think the new M-7. are really nice and finally put Kubota into the “serious” farm tractor market, albeit smaller. I’d consider an M-7, but it’s too small to pull a 3x4 or 4x4 on hills.
I already have my Massey 7495 CVT and MX270 Magnum for that anyway.

Last edited:
   / New (used) AGCO Challenger Farm Tractor #79  
Well, both tractors are 135 HP, so that makes them VERY comparable.
I am not trying to argue. But I would encourage you to look at the test reports I posted. I do not know the exact transmission set up you have as there are multiple tests for most major types of transmissions. Below are some exerts from the reports listed in my prior post.
MX135X standard PTO 120.74hp, unladen weight 10,305 lbs
MT475B Standard PTO 122.2hp, unladen weight 11,795 lbs
MT535B Standard PTO 114.5- 138.2hp, unladen weight 14,780-14,835 lbs
The weights and overall dimensions of the MX135X and MT475B are similar and are also noted in the test reports.

Below are the two tests for the MT535B, I do not know your serial number so I am not sure which one applies to you.

I have no doubt that the MT535B is a much much better tractor for your needs. However it is a class above the old Kubota M135X you replaced it with as shown in numbers that are from a certified test agency. It is interesting that the first test for the MT535B had some very poor numbers. I wonder if there was a problem with the tractor, hence the need for a second test.

I have the CVT. I compare by horsepower first, then weight. Kubota has always been a very lightweight tractor until the M6/7 series came out. Kubota has excellent ”power to weight” ratio, but light weight only helps when you’re on soft ground.

My point is the Challenger is a much better and more proper farm tractor. The loader lift capacity dwarfs the Kubota of the same HP. The ride comfort and cab are not even in the same league. The road speed and CVT are tremendous upgrades.

I still like my Kubota M126X and still have it, but it’s been relegated to field mowing with my CX-15 and doing light loader work, etc. It can also be used to rake & ted hay. It’s been an expensive tractor to own. I will probably run it down the road as soon as I find a AGCO or CASE-IH replacement.

Curious,,,,,what is your experience with these tractors? I have about 7,000 hours on my 2 Kubotas and about 2,000 hours on my AGCO Massey 7495 and about 100 on my MT535B

Last edited: