New Member in Georgia

/ New Member in Georgia #1  

GeorgiaYankee

Tractor
2018 Kioti CK-4010 HST, 1967 Massey Ferguson 135 (UK Model) 3 Cyl Diesel Perkins, 3 Speed, 1957 Ford 640 Gas
I just registered on this site today. I have been reading through the different forums for about a week. I'm looking to buy a new tractor in the next 3 to 6 months. I'm having a hard time deciding what size tractor to buy. Here is my situation. I have 4 acres in North Georgia. I also have property in Michigan. A 35 acre parcel currently up for sale. Another 78 acre parcel consisting of approximately 12 acres of high weeds and thick brush (1 inch to 4 inch diameter)j and 66 acres of woods. Another 70 acre parcel of woods. For the Georgia property I was looking for a 25 hp tractor. Main function will be maintaining a 3/10 mile private dirt/gravel road. Also picking rocks in the back 3 acres and hauling dirt, dragging some smaller trees.

I need a 40 to 55 hp tractor for my Michigan property. I have 35 and 12 acres of heavy brush cutting. I have to build a road/trail down a 66 foot easement from the front of the property back to the back of the 78 acres then across 40 acres. This would require brush hogging, dragging and lifting trees, grading, and moving dirt.

Looking at KIOTI, LS, and Massey Ferguson brands. Recommendation on size, transmission, brands, HP?

/ New Member in Georgia #2  
:welcome: to TBN.
Great folks w/lots of good advice.

/ New Member in Georgia #3  
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move your thread over to our buying, pricing and comparisons section. It's a good place to start.

/ New Member in Georgia #4  
welcome fellow Georgian!!!

/ New Member in Georgia #5  
Welcome!

Normally available implements won't handle 4" brush. That's larger than a brush hog or standard flail can deal with. A forestry mulcher attachment can handle that with no problem but they're not common and aren't cheap. They have serious HP requirements as well. Brush hogs do a poor job of mulching brush in my experience. There's lots of sticks left over. But they're great on weeds and live small brush that's growing back. I have 10 acres of thick brush 4" and often much larger. I'm doing it the slow way, with a chain saw and wood chipper. We can't burn and my land is steep enough that I can't get the tractor on all of it so I have to drag brush to the chipper. I'm not trying to clear all of it, just portions. If I had a lot of area that I wanted done fast I'd look into renting a skid steer with a forestry mulcher.

/ New Member in Georgia #6  
Why not swing by Rome, location of the Branson Headquarters and have a look. You may be glad you did.