New Computer

/ New Computer #141  

I don't think I'd use that, cloud based is a no no for me, and then I would have to migrate to all new apps.
I'm old fashioned I guess, I want my OS residing on my local machine, not out there somewhere, where I can control updates and work off-line if need be.
I have a customer that has a computer that is still running Win 98 that controls a CNC machine in his shop and is not connected to the internet. The CNC manufacturer wants $15K to upgrade the software and hardware dongle to support a Win 10 machine.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
We have a backup machine with identical hardware that has a HD I cloned off the production machine, so we should be safe for a while yet.

/ New Computer #142  
I think the signal was just phase shifted, or so I've been told. 🙃
I think that was how some signals were "scrambled", before they were actually encrypted.
The STS receiver I had back then had a a setting or switch that would fix the phase shift and give you a normal picture.
Had lots of fun scaning all the satellites with my 12 foot mesh dish with a dual LNB horn to see what was on them when the technology was new. I miss the CBC channels and a lot of the live remote feeds you could pick up.

Last edited:
   / New Computer #143  
I don't think I'd use that, cloud based is a no no for me, and then I would have to migrate to all new apps.
I'm old fashioned I guess, I want my OS residing on my local machine, not out there somewhere, where I can control updates and work off-line if need be.
I have a customer that has a computer that is still running Win 98 that controls a CNC machine in his shop and is not connected to the internet. The CNC manufacturer wants $15K to upgrade the software and hardware dongle to support a Win 10 machine.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
We have a backup machine with identical hardware that has a HD I cloned off the production machine, so we should be safe for a while yet.
A good number of music recording studios will never update their OS for fear of some new update causing their system to crash. Nobody in their right mind would risk getting a virus on these systems and loosing thousands of dollars in recording session time, not to mention whatever completed work they have stored that could be highly valuable. There's no way they'd trust their OS to the cloud and whatever update somebody somewhere decided to make without any regard to whether Protools or whatever recording software the recording studio is using will work absolutely reliably with that update installed.

/ New Computer #144  
Ironic that we are having this discussion in the midst of "We are currently working on fixing the performance issues you may be experiencing with the forum. Last night we migrated to new servers and some configuration issues have come up now that traffic load is heavy. We apologize for the inconvenience."

/ New Computer #145  
Anyone else still keep (rent) a shell account..?
I had the same account (Sun OS 5.4) with the university where I did my undergrade, for about 20 years, but they shut it down about 10 years ago. Bummer.