New Computer

/ New Computer #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
New PC arrived. It's more work than I remembered getting everything set up the way I want it. Just got it powered up today on the side table in my office. Separate system set aside where I can tinker with it for now until I get it all dialed in and ready for work and play.
My old PC is a 2017 refurb from Dell. Nice when new but now it's rather average and outdated. Amazing how fast that happens now a days. The processors got faster and the graphics cards made huge advancements. New harddrive is 2 terabit solid state. Thanks god I will no longer have to delete somethign to add something to my old 256 GB drive.
I think I asked before - Any people here play online games with other people?
We play War Thunder. WWII tank battle simulation. Up to 4 players on a team with 12 other players against 16 enemy tanks and planes trying to win and hold a single cap point or 3.

Yup - She's gonna be fun.

Last edited:
   / New Computer #2  
I dont know, when my desktop kicks the dirt, i think ill stick with ipads.

i got a new ipad pro to replace my 5 year old work ipad. All i did was place it next to old one, and a few hours later the new ipad was set up exactly as old ipad was. All files, all apps, all data. I didnt gave to do anything.

even has all my old photos and emails And passwords

my last desktop took weeks to configure the way i like it

/ New Computer #3  
Congratulations. We just did the same, upgraded both desktops and both laptops since we work from home some. Everything is Lenovo with an i7 processer, 16GB RAM and SSD drives. Also new HP printers, the drivers in Win 10 and Win 11 just were not what I liked with the old ones. Plus the new ones are wireless. We use Microsoft 365 and OneDrive, so setup was easy. Just takes a while to download 103 GB of files from the cloud to the hard drive, so if I lose the internet I can still work.

/ New Computer #4  
When my desktop dies, I’m going to do a home office setup like I have at work. A laptop docking station with a large monitor and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. So handy to have a large keyboard and monitor at home, but nice to grab the laptop when traveling.

/ New Computer #5  
I no longer use my desktop at home, just a laptop. I recently physically destroyed about 20 old hard drives from several old desktop systems. Still need to get rid of cases. Kept the last one with win7 on it.
I absolutely refuse to pay software subscriptions like office 365.

/ New Computer #6  
I love gaming on my PC. I have a very old Alienware PC that I have kept up-to-date...ish. Good graphics and memory, SSD, etc. Its was the fastest top shelf PC of 2013!

I'd love to play War Thunder, I've seen videos. But with my internet connection... not so sure. However, since getting Starlink, maybe? 🤔

/ New Computer #7  
I no longer use my desktop at home, just a laptop. I recently physically destroyed about 20 old hard drives from several old desktop systems. Still need to get rid of cases. Kept the last one with win7 on it.
I absolutely refuse to pay software subscriptions like office 365.
You might give Linux a try. I prefer linux Mint with the cinnamon desktop. Not only is it free, it is better.

/ New Computer #8  
Oh man! You just brought back some memories. I used to run Slackware with XFCE window manager. Its been a while. I loved linux, but fell away from it when I left my IT job.

/ New Computer
I love gaming on my PC. I have a very old Alienware PC that I have kept up-to-date...ish. Good graphics and memory, SSD, etc. Its was the fastest top shelf PC of 2013!

I'd love to play War Thunder, I've seen videos. But with my internet connection... not so sure. However, since getting Starlink, maybe? 🤔
Hey Avenger, I bet you would love war thunder. I'm playing on Starlink myself. It works good most of the time but there are times when it's bad but then 30 minutes later it's all good again for days. The 1st big thing with the game is it's a 40g download now. But you can do that at night on SL free of charge when the speeds are highest. The second thing is the grind is real from the bottom up.
But the good news is you have a friend who has played the game since beta who can invite you into chat and squad whenever you want. Gotta go - we play everynight about this time. Cheers

/ New Computer #10  
I was in I.T, for 25ish years. Always had the latest and greatest to keep up on the technologies. Since I got out of I.T., I can get by most days with just an iPad. I do have an older docked Surface Pro with keyboard, mouse, and larger monitor if I want to do some spreadsheet work or photo editing. But I just don't need a PC anymore.

Anytime friends or family would want recommendations on PCs, I'd recommend factory refurbs unless they were gamers or into video production. There's just not much need for a screaming fast PC for most people.