New Computer

/ New Computer #131  
Shortly after I started at the newspaper, I think in the early 90's, they started using UNIX on Sun Microsystems hardware when converting from manual markup to electronic pagination of ads. They were elegant things of beauty and paid for themselves quickly. Our other systems ran on VAX's and VMS. Those were OK, but VMS was pretty complicated compared to UNIX.

I had to laugh at this story from 1988...
We'd cringe every time we had to consult the 5' wall of books to find out how to do something in VMS. We could pretty much figure it out on our own with UNIX.

One of the questions that comes up all the time is: How enthusiastic
is our support for UNIX?
Unix was written on our machines and for our machines many years ago.
Today, much of UNIX being done is done on our machines. Ten percent of our
VAXs are going for UNIX use. UNIX is a simple language, easy to understand,
easy to get started with. It's great for students, great for somewhat casual
users, and it's great for interchanging programs between different machines.
And so, because of its popularity in these markets, we support it. We have
good UNIX on VAX and good UNIX on PDP-11s.
It is our belief, however, that serious professional users will run
out of things they can do with UNIX. They'll want a real system and will end
up doing VMS when they get to be serious about programming.
With UNIX, if you're looking for something, you can easily and quickly
check that small manual and find out that it's not there. With VMS, no matter
what you look for -- it's literally a five-foot shelf of documentation -- if
you look long enough it's there. That's the difference -- the beauty of UNIX
is it's simple; and the beauty of VMS is that it's all there.
-- Ken Olsen, president of DEC, DECWORLD Vol. 8 No. 5, 1984
[It's been argued that the beauty of UNIX is the same as the beauty of Ken
Olsen's brain. Ed.]
Ken also called Unix snake oil. That caused some cavitation in the DEC Unix marketplace.
VMS was way ahead of its time. So was Alpha. 😞

/ New Computer #132  
My brothers friend had a box that worked at payphones. So many memories of the IT wild west.
It made a tone at 2600 hrz which then allowed free phone calls. Hence the name of the hacker magazine 2600 since it was about the first thing a person could "hack."

/ New Computer #133  
I remember when 10 mb of hard drive was great.
ISTR that you had to remember to park the heads before you shut down back in those day. Apparently those early drives didn't do that automatically when powered off.

/ New Computer #134  
We'd cringe every time we had to consult the 5' wall of books to find out how to do something in VMS. We could pretty much figure it out on our own with UNIX.
Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but ISTR VMS commands to be very similar to DOS. Never used unix so I can't comment on its command structure.

/ New Computer #135  
Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but ISTR VMS commands to be very similar to DOS. Never used unix so I can't comment on its command structure.
VMS commands were very user friendly. Then there were systemic functions available too. Lexicals IIRC. The O/S was very resilient. Some systems went close to decades of uptime without crashing or reboots.

/ New Computer #136  
Anyone else still keep (rent) a shell account..?

/ New Computer #137  
My brothers friend had a box that worked at payphones. So many memories of the IT wild west.

There was a box that would descrambler over the air movie channels to watch without paying. (pre cable tv). So I was told.

/ New Computer #139  
VMS commands were very user friendly. Then there were systemic functions available too. Lexicals IIRC. The O/S was very resilient. Some systems went close to decades of uptime without crashing or reboots.
We had a UNIX system that was running out of disk space. I looked around and found some huge file where I thought it shouldn't be, so I deleted it and gained a ton of space.

Several weeks later, we had a power outage, and that system shut down. When the power came back up, it would not come up, and gave a message that it couldn't find the kernel. Ruh-roh Scooby.

Apparently that file was important. 🤫

Fortunately, we had a service contract, and "the guy" showed up. He found what file the system was looking for, but could not find the file in the location it was looking in. He made some calls, and got some Guru to tell us we were screwed unless we had a backup copy of the file somewhere. We had a copy of the partition on a backup disk, and were able to retrieve the missing file from there. Yikes! Lesson learned.

I did have a windows NT server that ran for several years without intervention. It would reboot itself at power outages and that's it. I used it for an internal Intranet documentation web server for notes that I wanted to be able to access anywhere in the building. My boss found out about it when I called it up from his desk to look for something. He was impressed, and he had me turn it into a "How To" resource for most of the user systems in the building. All they had to do was start a web browser and type http://help on any computer inside of the building and it would pop up with a menu of systems and sub menus of help articles under each system.

I got a nice coffee mug for that. :ROFLMAO:

/ New Computer #140  
We had a UNIX system that was running out of disk space. I looked around and found some huge file where I thought it shouldn't be, so I deleted it and gained a ton of space.

Several weeks later, we had a power outage, and that system shut down. When the power came back up, it would not come up, and gave a message that it couldn't find the kernel. Ruh-roh Scooby.

Apparently that file was important. 🤫

:ROFLMAO:
Sounds like the FAA contractors that deleted some files a couple of weeks ago and took down the NOTAM system.