New 4052m Hydraulic temp light.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light.
Wow that’s too hot, I like the fact you’re running accurate tests and recording results, what I would be doing. I think you’re temp sensor warning is correct at about 200 degrees. I’ve read anything over 180 is getting into the danger zone. Have you ever checked the transmission/oil temperature when just driving the tractor in a high range? I’d like to think that wouldn’t overheat it. Is this a known issue with this model? All I can say is I feel for ya, I’d be more than a little upset if I dropped that kind of coin and basically shouldn’t use it without risking further damage. See what Deere does at this stage but I’m thinking that falls under not fit for purpose at this point.
So Deere is saying that the machine is NOT overheating, that it is a computer glitch that is triggering the warning light when the tractor is reaching "normal" operating temperature. They are also stating that they do NOT have a "fix" for it at this time nor do will they offer any sort of time line or estimate for a "fix" and thus they say to continue driving it and that its all under warranty soo don't worry.

Well I am worried because I cannot get any good answers out of Deere. All they do is refer me back to the dealer. The dealer just tells me what Deere says and Deere confirms that all they have said is that there is a glitch they are "working on" but not clue as to when it will be fixed. Nor can I get Deere to tell me 1. how long does it take the hydraulic oil to typically hit "normal" operating temp NOR will they tell what is "too hot". I am very doubtful I can get them to tell me at what temp that warning light is triggered as they have NOT been helpful at all.
We have had the tractor for less then 30 days.. I am going to see if I can return the tractor. I do not know if its possible to return it but it sure doesn't seem fair that I should have to pay for a tractor with an "unrepairable" issue. There is no true way for me to know if its overheating or not because they are claiming the glitch. I really feel like it is overheating but they say no and say my tests mean nothing.

Just seems really odd to me that every single time it does this, its after almost exactly 2 hours of running the machine.
Wish me luck. I am really feeling very discouraged with this mess. OH and JD DID admit they KNEW about the issue but would NOT say if its in other models or just a random occurrence so I don't even know if I would dare try another machine at this point.

I have posted about this issue on 3 different forums and very few have even responded so I am thinking its not very common but who knows?

Thanks for replying as it does make it a little better!

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #12  
Google Maximum hydraulic component life and a really good informative article written by Brendan Casey should come up. He explains in very good detail the temperature parameters that the various viscosity grades of hydraulic fluids do and don’t protect at. Centistoke range of 16-36 is ideal, 10-1000 range is tolerable intermittently, according to his chart a 32 VG oil which I’m quite certain your Deere calls for hits that 10 minimum intermittent viscosity at 167 degrees. I converted the charts 75C to get the 167F. You’re 2hours is simply just the amount of time you’re tractor takes to reach the temp that sets off you’re hot warning light. I also found a spec sheet for JD low viscosity trans/hydraulic fluid, shows 7.1centistoke@ 100C / 212F well below the minimum . Hope this helps and good luck 👍

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #13  
General rule of thumb for normal operating temp of tractor hydraulic systems is 100 degrees farenheit above ambient temperature. I don't like seeing over 200f in the most extreme conditions. You mentioned a 6 foot bush hog. WHat is the weight of the mower? Does tractor lift it with ease or does it strain to lift. Many times overheating hydraulics is due to system running in relief due to implement too heavy or misadjusted or sticking linkage for three point or scv valves.

General rule of thumb for normal operating temp of tractor hydraulic systems is 100 degrees farenheit above ambient temperature. I don't like seeing over 200f in the most extreme conditions. You mentioned a 6 foot bush hog. WHat is the weight of the mower? Does tractor lift it with ease or does it strain to lift. Many times overheating hydraulics is due to system running in relief due to implement too heavy or misadjusted or sticking linkage for three point or scv valves.
I am not sure of the weight of the bush hog, It is a very old bushhog. It is a sidewinder pull type bush hog with a tire driven system so it is not lifted with the 3 point hitch. It is a tire driven system. The PTO spins the tire, which in turn spins the bell and that causes the blades to spin. We also have a 1973 Deutz 4006 tractor that is very well used and its rated at about 35 horsepower. It pulls and runs that bush hog just fine so I would find it hard to believe that the JD 4052 at 51 hp would not be able to handle it. This is a hydro tractor if that makes a difference. John Deere basically said our tests were worthless..

Ambient temp during the test ranged from 82-85F. Thank you so much for the help. The article and info did help as I do have a much better understanding now. Am waiting to hear back from the dealer. Sent an email at about lunch time and no response yet.

Last edited:
   / New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #16  
Any word from your JD dealer?

Any word from your JD dealer?
They picked it up 2 weeks ago and all I have heard so far is they got a temperature from it and sent it to Deere but the rep did not know what the temp was and have not heard anything else. I was going to touch base with him Tuesday after the holiday to see if there are any updates. I wonder, if that mean it was overheating since they sent the temperature to Deere.

/ New 4052m Hydraulic temp light. #19  
They picked it up 2 weeks ago and all I have heard so far is they got a temperature from it and sent it to Deere but the rep did not know what the temp was and have not heard anything else. I was going to touch base with him Tuesday after the holiday to see if there are any updates. I wonder, if that mean it was overheating since they sent the temperature to Deere.
I’m starting to think that hydrostatic transmission through its design is just not able to handle the load your mower is pulling on it and therefore overheats. When the rear axle casting is 230 degrees the oil that brought it to that temperature is actually even hotter, it’s overheating no doubt about it. I’d be willing to bet the geared transmission version of that 4052m would have absolutely no overheating issues using that same mower or a bigger one. For your sake I hope there’s a easy fix , anxious to see what Deere has to say. Thanks for the update

I’m starting to think that hydrostatic transmission through its design is just not able to handle the load your mower is pulling on it and therefore overheats. When the rear axle casting is 230 degrees the oil that brought it to that temperature is actually even hotter, it’s overheating no doubt about it. I’d be willing to bet the geared transmission version of that 4052m would have absolutely no overheating issues using that same mower or a bigger one. For your sake I hope there’s a easy fix , anxious to see what Deere has to say. Thanks for the update

So we just rented a fairly new Kubota L4701. Not sure of the year model and we are running it because our grass is out of control. It is tall and thick, Same bush hog, hydro tractor, running in medium range and the temps after 3 hours of running are any where from 114-185 depending on what we were shooting. Another thing, is that the JD used half a tank in 4 hours. As of 3 hours, the Kubota was still showing full. The Kubota had 81 hours when they dropped it off.

We had wanted to try the Kubota to see the difference and this was a great opportunity because I am not convinced we will end up with a JD at this point. We do like the Deere a little better IF it was operating as it should. The JD is a 51 hp tractor so technically, it is supposed to be slightly larger.

The smallest tractor we have used that bush hog on is a Deutz 4006 which is rated between 35-37 horses depending on the site. The Deutz is an early 70's and very very used with several issues. Also, talked to a guy that sells parts for the bushhog to try to get an estimated weight on it and he said 1000-1200 pounds roughly. That would be towing weight because it is a pull behind so it does not get lifted by the 3 point.

Last edited: