Need to design a Dance Floor

/ Need to design a Dance Floor #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I know this is not really tractor related but...

I need to make a dance floor for renting out at our bed & breakfast for when people book us for weddings.

What I want to do is 8 - 4x8 sheets of plywood, stained and sealed. I want to make a 16x16 dance floor so 2 sheets wide by 4 sheets in length.

I need a way to connect the sheets together and keep the seams level and together.

I was thinking tongue and groove plywood and using a few metal flat bar pieces on the edges with carriage bolts passing through to hold them together. The tongue & groove would provide the sheet to sheet level aspect

I would like to (if it is fairly easy) to make an interlocking fastener so that I can line up the tongue & groove and then lay the sheet down and the fastener holds them together. That would negate any tools to make the assembly.

I do have a welder and decent fab skills. Anybody have any ideas...I am striking out on this idea.

/ Need to design a Dance Floor #3  
Drunk fat women love to dance at weddings. Just be sure it's strong.

/ Need to design a Dance Floor #6  
I have built quite a few dance floors, used to be in the night club construction business. The easy way to solve your joinery problem is to have a frame with pin joints beneath the sheeting to lock it together. This will also aid in keeping the floor flat. This way you can use furniture fasteners on the underside of the sheeting and snap them down on the framework. You really need a flat smooth lawn area for this to work.

/ Need to design a Dance Floor #7  
I thought about making one for my DJ business rental side, but there was no way to make it "nice" i cant have a wedding with a not so nice dance floor made of plywood.. So I am going to either buy a portable dance floor or scratch the idea all together.. Here is a site that might be able to help you. Good luck and let us know how you make out Dance Floors on Sale features portable dance floors, kits, stages and accessories

/ Need to design a Dance Floor #9  
I wonder how well the tongue and groove ply will work. Unless your site is perfectly level, and I have never seen a yard like that, it will be hard to get things lined up. Even using T&G ply when framing a house we often need to persuade the ply with a sledge hammer.

MarkV

/ Need to design a Dance Floor #10  
I would not use tongue and grooved plywood it isn't suitable to be taken apart as needed.