Need advice on mowing slopes

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #21  
Ok, with my slope measurements a couple of days ago, I have some sections that are a little bit steeper.

Some with around a 25° slope, and perhaps peaking up to around a 30° slope.

There is just no cross slope driving with an ordinary tractor, at least not that I'm comfortable with.

A few years ago I was trying brush hogging with my Ford 1715 (AG tires), and managed to get it stuck with fairly dry ground, backing down and pulling forward back up.

My latest experiment, I picked up a used Landini Trekker 60F.

landini-trekker-60f-right-front-jpg.861219

For about 60 HP, it is tiny, and a little narrower than I'd like. But I'm hoping it will finally open up the steeper parts of the hillside, even if I have to do some back and forth driving.

It does tear up the grass a bit when turning. OK for rough mowing, but not ideal for finish work.

I'm also hoping to make it a little wider, but that may be easier to dream than to actually do.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #22  
For 3 acres I would first get a load of topsoil for all the low and bare spots, rake level as best you can. Steep areas you don't want to mow I'd plant vinca minor (periwinkle) like this which is OK for zone 5 you're in. A plant every 2ft or so should be fine, it puts off runners spreading quickly. It stays green year round with occasional small blue flowers. It chokes out other plants and grows about 8" or so high.
For cutting I use one of the Cub zero turns for lawn and along fence lines where it's steep. All the pastures I bush hog.
I wished you were closer to Virginia, I have a few acres of vinca I could give you.
20240426_143649.jpg
20240426_143437.jpg
20240426_143545.jpg
20240426_143600.jpg

/ Need advice on mowing slopes
My tractor has loaded tires. I don't think I can adjust them to be wider, but I can buy a kit to put them out a few more inches, and I may do that.
I appreciate the vinca minor suggestion and I'll see if I can find some to plant. I don't know if it was this type of vinca, but vinca drugs were among the first anti-cancer drugs.
I've read specs on every riding mower I can find online, and the zero turns consistently say NOT to use on slopes because there is no weight over the front wheels. But there is so much conflicting information that I kind of wish I'd never started reading. Some say rear engine riding mowers are best, yet they are all rated for no more than 12 degree hills. Some say to go straight up and down the hill, others insist that you should go across the hill.
Then there is the whole electric option. The more I've read, the more I wish they were better than they are. They all have way too many people complaining about spending $500-$1000 for new batteries after a year or two. Clearly some people have been very pleased with their electrics, but unless I can understand what the reason is that so many people had a bad experience, I will avoid them.
I'm at a point where I think that planting the vinca is a great solution to the steepest hill. For the rest, I can buy a Cub Cadet 46" rider for $2000 and it will almost certainly do the job. A mid-mower for my tractor would run me $3500 all told and I can't justify that versus the Cub Cadet rider. I had dismissed a pull behind finish mower for my tractor right off the bat because I imagined it as a large unwieldy item, kind of like pulling a boat with a truck. Maybe I was wrong about that, and they don't seem to cost that much, and I have a 3 point hitch and rear PTO. So I will continue to learn more about that option. I do not have a lot of turn-around space, but it sounds like a lot of people back into corners with a rear finish mower instead of riding through tight areas. Not great for the neck, but it seems like either my knees, my neck, or my wallet is going to hurt by the time this is over.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #24  
I use this one on hills, bought new about 12 years ago. If real steep I slowly go over, let gravity ease it down. The few times it's gotten "hairy" usually I can control pulling levers back or pull up on brake lever a bit.
If not terribly steep I mow sideways shifting my weight uphill.
It's never ever tipped the least bit. Never ever mow wet...wait at least 2-3 days after rain.
I never mow uphill unless not too steep.
Where it's hard to control is steep down and angled to one side since it wants to go that direction.
The only problem with vinca is it continues to spread. At my homeplace there are acres of it. Here I have it planted in contained areas, it can't cross the driveway or a sidewalk.
2024_04_26_20.45.02.jpg

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #25  
I hope this is the right section for this question.
I have usually done my lawn with a self propelled walk behind mower. The last couple of years I hired someone who used a riding mower.
This year I'd like to do my lawn myself again, but my knees are not up to doing it all with a walk behind. I'm hoping to get some help choosing from some options:
1) A mid mount mower on my Kioti CX2510
2) A regular riding mower-I would lean towards an electric so I don't have another engine to maintain.

My biggest concern is the uneven terrain. Much of the yard is relatively flat, although it sure has plenty of divots and bumps. But there are two sections with significant slopes.
I attached photos.
The area that is dirt is pretty large. It will be seeded with grass I measured the slope of this area at 16.5 degrees.
The other area behind my house has a slope of as much as 18 degrees but it's not a very large area.
I've never used a riding mower. I have read that zero turn mowers are less stable, but I don't know if there are things to look for in a riding mower to maximize stability.

If I use a mid mount on my tractor, I might consider putting some wheel spacers on the rear, as I've had some nervous moments over the years. I also feel like a tractor just would be less maneuverable than a small riding mower, so I'm kind of leaning towards the riding mower.

I guess a third option would be to use a riding mower or my CX2510 on the flat areas and use my push mower on the slopes. I could probably handle doing that but that area that is dirt currently is pretty large, and It would be nice to get it with either the tractor or a riding mower. The other slope is a small enough area that I can handle it with a regular push mower.

Those slopes seem steep to me, but I'm hoping that someone with experience can offer some advice.

Thank you.View attachment 863757View attachment 863758View attachment 863759
If you already have a Kioti CX2510 then get a belly mower and use it. It's your best option, especially when you can use 4wd if needed.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #26  
If you already have a Kioti CX2510 then get a belly mower and use it. It's your best option, especially when you can use 4wd if needed.
The only time I ever take my tractor out of 4x4 is when I have a significant time on dry pavement. Otherwise it is in 4x4 all the time.

Check if your tractor has a differential lock. It can come in handy at times, especially if wet or otherwise slippery.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #27  
I use this one on hills, bought new about 12 years ago. If real steep I slowly go over, let gravity ease it down. The few times it's gotten "hairy" usually I can control pulling levers back or pull up on brake lever a bit.
If not terribly steep I mow sideways shifting my weight uphill.
It's never ever tipped the least bit. Never ever mow wet...wait at least 2-3 days after rain.
I never mow uphill unless not too steep.
Where it's hard to control is steep down and angled to one side since it wants to go that direction.
The only problem with vinca is it continues to spread. At my homeplace there are acres of it. Here I have it planted in contained areas, it can't cross the driveway or a sidewalk.View attachment 864567
Fuddy,

I see from your other picture that you have at least two other mowers - a lawn tractor and a CC ZTR with steering wheel. I thought the CC steering wheel ZTR's were supposed to be made for using on hills. Why do you use the regular CC ZTR instead?

Also, I am curious - how have the steering gear/hydro controls on your steerable ZTR held up over the years? Have you had any problems with it?

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #28  
Fuddy,

I see from your other picture that you have at least two other mowers - a lawn tractor and a CC ZTR with steering wheel. I thought the CC steering wheel ZTR's were supposed to be made for using on hills. Why do you use the regular CC ZTR instead?

Also, I am curious - how have the steering gear/hydro controls on your steerable ZTR held up over the years? Have you had any problems with it?
No problems with either mower and both work great on hills. The lever one seems better to me on real steep hills because I can ease over the crest mowing straight down. Easy to control speed (very slow), and can pull back a little if it gains speed. Steering wheel one is newer and if I could do it over I would have bought a lever instead. With my wife and I mowing we can knock out a couple acres pretty fast.
I'd shop around but both Cubs have performed well and not expensive.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #29  
Thank you all for the helpful ideas. Most of the really good options are just too expensive. I like Gem99's suggestion to seed with ground cover. I'm not very knowledgable about that kind of stuff. Do you have any suggestions for what I could seed it with that would be low maintenance? It's a nice sunny slope and I'm in New Hampshire.

I'm a bit over an hour north of you, but am in a similar situation on a new build. Steep slope I have no desire to mow.

I am looking at clover for a set it and forget it solution. Won't be able to start working on the lawn until later this year, so I have time to figure out what I want to do.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #30  
I've had vinca at two different homes. Also covers part of a nearby cemetery. It's been durable and low maintenance for decades.