Need advice on mowing slopes

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #1  

Deepdrop

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 (2021)
I hope this is the right section for this question.
I have usually done my lawn with a self propelled walk behind mower. The last couple of years I hired someone who used a riding mower.
This year I'd like to do my lawn myself again, but my knees are not up to doing it all with a walk behind. I'm hoping to get some help choosing from some options:
1) A mid mount mower on my Kioti CX2510
2) A regular riding mower-I would lean towards an electric so I don't have another engine to maintain.

My biggest concern is the uneven terrain. Much of the yard is relatively flat, although it sure has plenty of divots and bumps. But there are two sections with significant slopes.
I attached photos.
The area that is dirt is pretty large. It will be seeded with grass I measured the slope of this area at 16.5 degrees.
The other area behind my house has a slope of as much as 18 degrees but it's not a very large area.
I've never used a riding mower. I have read that zero turn mowers are less stable, but I don't know if there are things to look for in a riding mower to maximize stability.

If I use a mid mount on my tractor, I might consider putting some wheel spacers on the rear, as I've had some nervous moments over the years. I also feel like a tractor just would be less maneuverable than a small riding mower, so I'm kind of leaning towards the riding mower.

I guess a third option would be to use a riding mower or my CX2510 on the flat areas and use my push mower on the slopes. I could probably handle doing that but that area that is dirt currently is pretty large, and It would be nice to get it with either the tractor or a riding mower. The other slope is a small enough area that I can handle it with a regular push mower.

Those slopes seem steep to me, but I'm hoping that someone with experience can offer some advice.

Thank you.
IMG_7196.JPG
IMG_7194.JPG
IMG_7192.JPG

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #2  
Whew, that appears to be pretty steep. Can you choose some landscaping without mowing?

The Zero Turn mowers tend to have a wider footprint than other riders, so it should help with stability.

Ideally you would go up and down, but at least behind the house you have no flat place to turn around, and traction could be a problem.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Need advice on mowing slopes #3  
Mowing step slopes back up on the slope in 4wd,if you have front loader on add little weight.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #5  
A zero turn would be my choice. It would eat that hillside up and ask for more with safety and speed.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #6  
That doesn't appear very steep to me, I think your mid-mount mower would handle it fine just keep your loader down low.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #7  
I’d choose ZTR. A NICE wide stance, lower CG, and wide tires. Also, Id consider not mowing areas that are VERY steep. Issue with electric mowers is their light weight, which will actually hurt its ability to hold a hill.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #8  
Most ZTRs have two levers to independently control the back wheels leaving the front wheels free to pivot as they may. This may not be the best option on a steep slope because the front wheels can pivot when you don't want them to.

Cub Cadet makes ZTRs with front wheels that are controlled by a steering wheel. The consumer level models don't have ROPS. The pro Z models have ROPs and Cub Cadet publishes their slope ratings for each model.

The area that concerns me the most is the smaller area behind the house with the 18.5 degree slope. That's pretty steep. Your picture doesn't show the entire area, but if you have some other drop off or tree line to contend with at the base, where would you end up if you had a run away situation?

The same area is small enough that I wonder whether you could use a battery powered walk behind converted to remote control? There's a guy on eBay selling remote control conversion kits for Harbor Freight's Atlas battery powered walk behind mower. Less expensive than blowing out a knee or falling and breaking a hip.....

/ Need advice on mowing slopes #9  
The Club Cadet Pro Z with dual rear wheels would easily handle your slopes. BUT - they're pricey. Something like $22K...

I know my current Kubota Z2412 will NOT handle that kind of slope; I have a quarter acre of the same and have made many attempts without success. In addition to flipping over danger, no turn around space and/or no stopping area is a major problem along with lack of traction with the turf tires.

I have owned Husqvarna garden trator type mowers that would handle the slopes just fine exept they're very hard on equipment. I finally blew out the pinion gear on my last one when mowing up/down on 20* slopes. No replaement parts helped me decide to abandon Husqvarna's.

My suggestion is to seed that small area with a nice ground cover and forget it. That'll look very nice and relieve you of lots of butt-puckter - or injury.

/ Need advice on mowing slopes
Thank you all for the helpful ideas. Most of the really good options are just too expensive. I like Gem99's suggestion to seed with ground cover. I'm not very knowledgable about that kind of stuff. Do you have any suggestions for what I could seed it with that would be low maintenance? It's a nice sunny slope and I'm in New Hampshire.
A mid mount for the CX2510 apparently is about $3500 plus another $400 to put in a mid PTO. I guess I'll weigh that against buying one of the less expensive riding mowers. If I don't have to mow that really steep area, I'd only have to mow the relatively level areas and that one 16 degree slope that is currently dirt. I could probably do it with my tractor by backing up with a mid mount, or with a riding mower, although I'd have to make sure of that.
Any suggestions on a good ground cover for the steep slope?
And riding mower vs MMM for the less steep slope?