My flagstone project.

/ My flagstone project. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Got a big rock along with the purchase of a JD210 disc. So had to get it the 1.5 mile journey home. It was a big one. Roughly 5' x 4' x 2'. Guessing 6000-7000#
IMG_20161108_092154926_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161108_092211597_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161108_092218176_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161108_094046574.jpg
IMG_20161108_100514813.jpg

/ My flagstone project. #3  
Not what I was expecting when I read the title. :thumbsup:

/ My flagstone project. #4  
Nice find!!!

I retrieved a large red rock out of my timber few years ago. Had to hire a dozer to push it 1/2 mile. But it was worth it!!!!

P.S. Wish I had your hoe. Just what I need!!!! :)

/ My flagstone project.
Nice find!!!

I retrieved a large red rock out of my timber few years ago. Had to hire a dozer to push it 1/2 mile. But it was worth it!!!!

P.S. Wish I had your hoe. Just what I need!!!! :)

I keep kicking around the idea of selling it and getting a nice 9-10' hoe for the MX. But then I get into projects like this :confused2:

I think the old ford is more valuable to me than I could get for it

/ My flagstone project. #6  
I keep kicking around the idea of selling it and getting a nice 9-10' hoe for the MX. But then I get into projects like this :confused2:

I think the old ford is more valuable to me than I could get for it

I borrow my neighbor's 3pt Woods hoe mounted on a 4440 JD AG tractor. It gets the job done. But not even close to the abilities of your Ford. I think you would forever regret selling it unless it was to buy a bigger/better one.

Around here it would bring $5000 on a good day. That won't buy much of a hoe for your MX and you'll have much less machine.

/ My flagstone project. #7  
Hope you don't mind me posting rock pics here. I'll delete if you do.

Here's a better pic of my "split rock". Found it about a mile down the creek that runs thru my farm. Carried it out piece at a time with the Kubota. The two pieces were laying about 100ft apart in the middle of the creek. I carried a limestone slab rock from the same place to sit the pieces on.

DSC06853.JPG

DSC06855.JPG

/ My flagstone project. #8  
Other than a little more maintenance, I think you would be disappointed if you went with a hoe for your tractor over the backhoe. Specially if you use it much at all.

/ My flagstone project.
Dont mind the pics at all. Thats a cool looking split rock for sure.

As to selling......yea, I am sure I would regret it. NOt much chance of buying bigger though. They dont come much bigger....and the ones that are, are a bit more rare. While I'd probably take $5k, that would be painful. Would like to see closer to $7k. Remember, its got a rebuilt motor ~100hrs ago too. Its not the tightest or driest machine. But its pretty reliable. When I need to dig a big hole to burry something, or rip out stumps, it sure does the job in a hurry. Same when it comes to heavy lifting on the FEL, or moving and pushing piles of dirt in a hurry.

But I am hoping most of those jobs are behind me. The pond got all the trees removed, the fencerow got cleared, and done digging holes to burry alot of the demolition debris from when mom and dad tore down the old farm house and built new. Crap like chunks of sidewalk slab, footer, old chimney block, etc.

99% of what I do with the backhoe is field tile repair. Fixing a blowout here and there, sometimes putting in a hundred foot or so, repairing outlets, etc. This just seems overkill. While there are times I enjoy this machines size and power......alot of times I wish it was a little smaller and more nimble. And given the cost, maintenance, etc. IF I ever get into a big project.....can always rent an ex. But as it is currently, I am really limited to driving distance with this hoe to make money. And my small 8-acres dont have much need anymore for a 18,000# machine. IF I had a hoe on the MX....trailing would be no problem and could take on some more work. I am still up in the air.....

/ My flagstone project.
Figured I'd post this here too. This was dads flagstone rock...

E41A0641.JPG
boulder.jpg
boulder2.jpg