Must Tractor ROPS Be So High?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #31  
I'm going to say..... Yes.... It is likely designed to be tall enough to keep the tractor from going more than 90 degrees most of the time in case of a roll over on its side...
When I was shopping 20 years ago, several models were available with either a fixed or a foldable ROPS. The foldable ones were taller when in the up position than the fixed ones. So apparently, there was some flexibility in the height requirements

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #32  
Yup, between the rops height of a BX2360, fixed height, and a BX2370, foldable, there has got to be 9-12 " difference. And the rops from a BX2360, will fit perfectly on a BX2370. I doubt if mankind grew that extra height between the time Kubota switched rops on one model to another.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #35  
The only thing here that has one is MOOSE, and its always in the way. ---just something to get used to. One of my 580's has the cab rated as rops and its a REAL pisser to get in and out of!

Attachments

• Picture001(1).JPG
    Picture001(1).JPG
    210 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture141.JPG
    Picture141.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 85
   / Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #37  
I tried the B2601 ROPS in 45 degree position yesterday. Clears the garage door by a couple inches. Up out of my head's way in working behind it on 3ph and provides some safety margin. Probably will go back to wearing my seat belt now.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #38  
Primarily, the rops are configured to stop a backward roll over as well as side rolls.
In order to be effective for this kind of mishap, the rops need to be tall enough to create the necessary leverage to stop a backward flip of the tractor.
If you are not wearing a seatbelt, there is no need for the rops.
They are symbiotic to be advantageous at prevention of a broken neck.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #39  
When I was shopping 20 years ago, several models were available with either a fixed or a foldable ROPS. The foldable ones were taller when in the up position than the fixed ones. So apparently, there was some flexibility in the height requirements
The fixed ones were at the predetermined height for effectiveness.
The added height had more to do with clearance issues of some rear attachments and design features when rops were folded or so told by a Mahindra rep at seminar.
He failed to elaborate on what Mahindra utilized as attachments to achieve desired clearance height. I do know my quick attach comes up pretty high with the current top link geometry and Mahindra uses preformed plastic secondary fenders with molded in cup holders that the "fold point" needs to be elevated abit to clear these moldings thus making the rops taller.
Do not know if this be true for all brands.

Last edited:
   / Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #40  
I came within a hairs breath of "customizing" one of my carport stalls headboard. Stopped about six inches short of contact. Easy solution for me. Move tractor over to my really tall carport.
IMG_0001.jpeg