Must Tractor ROPS Be So High?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #11  
I'm in agreement that it's so tall so that most likely you'll get a tip over onto side VS a complete rollover.

If it was short enough to allow for complete roll-over, it could also turn into tumbling over and over down a hill type of thing.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #12  
I'm 7'6" tall, so I hit my head when I go in the garage....

717618F6-F5DE-4F0E-BB12-22FB9C255584.jpeg

(Is it April 1st yet?)

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #13  
I am not judging anyone here it is your tractor. Maybe it is safe for you to do it.
Personally, I would not recommend it to others as they might not be as experienced, live on a hillside, or destroy their tractor because they didn't understand that cutting the ROPS is a bad idea. If you disagree, please call your insurance agent and ask.

Due to potential lawsuits, I doubt they pick a random height and call it a day.
They would have to have data backed by studies to show they did their due diligence when a lawsuit comes along. I agree that it is a height to protect both operator and tractor to reduce rollovers that crush the operator.

Last edited:
   / Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #14  
I'm 7'6" tall, so I hit my head when I go in the garage....
Funny you mention that Moss. Many years ago I became 9' tall after more than a few drinks. Another bar patron "hit me in the head" and I've never reached that heighth again. 😉

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #16  
Moss, that pic woulda been more impressive if you coulda pulled it off posing in front of a Cat 992 (that's likely the 15 cubic yard bucket :=)

The 988's the biggest of their loaders I've been around, their bucket's "only" a wimpy 10 yards 🙄 ... Steve

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #17  
   / Must Tractor ROPS Be So High?
My garage doors are ta enough, so I don't have a problem. I was just asking because somettimes I see a tractor height of 86" and I wonder why they didn't just make it 83 1/2" ? I think the best answer I've seen is that the ROPS has to be tall enough to stop the roll at 90 degrees.

I know from other threads that people who think they will always remember to lower the ROPS before entering the garage inevitably forget at some point and hear that disappointing crunch. Maybe somebody should invent a proximity audio visual alarm?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #20  
My barn doors are 10’ in height so I never fold my ROPs down. I also installed a canopy, so folding down isn’t possible.
We welded ours where it telescopes (It don't fold) and bent some 1/8" steel for a top.