Made some big bales this weekend

/ Made some big bales this weekend #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Heres a few pics from this weekend. Fabulous baling conditions. Dry, Sunny & breezy.

Just getting this field started. My son in the raking tractor up ahead.

1654467254123.jpeg

Finishing up with the Hesston 4910

1654467353314.jpeg

1654467399877.jpeg

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, the Krone Big Pack 4x4 XC got to make a few bales.

1654467962294.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Made some big bales this weekend #2  
i need to learn more about hay. why cut now when the grass is short, first cut is lower quality, so you let it grow more for 2nd? I see people getting first cut here on fields that have maybe 8 or 10 inch tall growth, and half of it is seed stalk. is it to get rid of the seed stalk early? I only have a few acres but want to get as much as possible out of it to feed the sheep in the winter. we went through maybe 4k lbs jan - april this year.

/ Made some big bales this weekend #4  
Really nice looking hay field!!!! As far as I know, nobody is making those giant square bales where I'm at in East Texas. If they are, they are not advertising them for sale. If I had a place to store them inside, I think they would be a lot nicer then round bales.

/ Made some big bales this weekend #5  
i need to learn more about hay. why cut now when the grass is short, first cut is lower quality, so you let it grow more for 2nd? I see people getting first cut here on fields that have maybe 8 or 10 inch tall growth, and half of it is seed stalk. is it to get rid of the seed stalk early? I only have a few acres but want to get as much as possible out of it to feed the sheep in the winter. we went through maybe 4k lbs jan - april this year.
1st cutting is not short around here, about waist high. Good alfalfa will make 4 cuttings.
You're in the wrong part of the world.

/ Made some big bales this weekend
Heres a starter 4x4x8. Not as tight as I’d like it to be. I dont like to crank the pressure on the baler early.
Sorry the pictures suck. I take them trough dirty cab glass.

1654475721381.jpeg

/ Made some big bales this weekend
So jelly of those balers.
It took a lot of work on a lot of days when people were on vacations to make the jump from round balers to big square balers.
Its a lot of expense and a lot of sacrifice.
Its nothing to spend $15,000 on one every 3 years.

1654476406143.jpeg

Attachments

• 1654476266919.jpeg
    1654476266919.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 125
Last edited:
   / Made some big bales this weekend #8  
Hay Dude, are big square balers significantly more expensive than round balers?
Bright side, a square baler is continuous running vs a round baler's stop start running.

/ Made some big bales this weekend #9  
Really nice looking hay field!!!! As far as I know, nobody is making those giant square bales where I'm at in East Texas. If they are, they are not advertising them for sale. If I had a place to store them inside, I think they would be a lot nicer then round bales.
I see them being hauled on Hwy 19 going both ways. The horse trainer that owns North Texas Equestrian Center in Wylie bales his own large square bales on his place near Palestine for his use only. That is the only person I know actually baling them anywhere close.

/ Made some big bales this weekend #10  
Hay dude, I am curious I never see a tedder in your pictures or maybe I missed it. Are you able to get your hay dry without tedding? Down here in most places you need at least 3 good dry sunny days and you probably better run a tedder thru it twice or it ain't gonna be dry, the hay I put up this week ran about 8 to 10% moisture. What % moisture do you all like to see?