Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales.

/ Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales. #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Its a little past it’s prime, but I was able to crank out about 30 pretty little bales today. I used the Krone Big Pack and set the monitor to make 60” x4’ x4’ bales. Turned out great. I haven’t had the chance to use this feature yet and it works amazingly well.
These bales will be perfect for my locals raising beef.

1655770282958.jpeg

1655770357134.jpeg

1655770505312.jpeg

Monitor set at 60”. The blue number can be touched and a menu pops up to change bale length. It’ll make up to a 120” long bale.

1655770435010.jpeg

1655770606281.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales. #2  
Looks to be a nice size even for horses.

/ Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales.
Looks to be a nice size even for horses.
Thanks. Yes I have contacted my horse hay customers and let them know they wil be getting “cubes” instead of round bales, too.
Been selling round bales to the same horse customers for decades. The addition of this baler made the round baler expendable since it quickly changes to any bale length from the cab. Saves a lot of time, especially on hilly ground.

Last edited:
   / Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales. #4  
That’s a very useful feature, you can customize bale size/weight depending on customer or need.

That’s a very useful feature, you can customize bale size/weight depending on customer or need.
Yes, you can change bale size or density on the fly very easily.
I am running 2 large square balers now and although they have some disadvantages, this one has allowed me to sell my round baler and the tractor that pulled it.
Nothing against round balers, its just that keeping one around to make feed hay was costing me more in a hay business that has seen input costs increase dramatically.
Time will tell how it works out.

/ Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales. #6  
Yes, you can change bale size or density on the fly very easily.
I am running 2 large square balers now and although they have some disadvantages, this one has allowed me to sell my round baler and the tractor that pulled it.
Nothing against round balers, its just that keeping one around to make feed hay was costing me more in a hay business that has seen input costs increase dramatically.
Time will tell how it works out.
Disadvantage just moving parts/maint, cost, and HP requirements? Or are there other hidden issues?
Thanks. Yes I have contacted my horse hay customers and let them know they wil be getting “cubes” instead of round bales, too.
Been selling round bales to the same horse customers for decades. The addition of this baler made the round baler expendable since it quickly changes to any bale length from the cab. Saves a lot of time, especially on hilly ground.
How do they compare weight wise? Seems like 4x4x60” is less hay than a 4x5 round? And are large squares like small, requiring covered storage? Can the average user with a spear move them or do you need special spears?

Disadvantage just moving parts/maint, cost, and HP requirements? Or are there other hidden issues?

How do they compare weight wise? Seems like 4x4x60” is less hay than a 4x5 round? And are large squares like small, requiring covered storage? Can the average user with a spear move them or do you need special spears?
Great questions!
The disadvantages you named are there, but I already had the 2 larger tractors that can handle them. As far as maintenance costs, they may be more, but I will say I have had plenty of $ spent fixing round balers, too.
Yes, more fuel to run them, but I can run my Hesston square baler at about 7G/hr. on a 200HP tractor. Round baler was about 5.5G/hr on a 125HP. The Krone is more like 10G/hr on a 300HP.

However, a field that took 5 hours to round bale, now takes, 2. So I am net savings on fuel and more importantly TIME! I have a LOT of hilly ground, so round bales were very time consuming. With a large square baler(s), I can take on more acreage. And that was one of my primary goals. Funny how the topography we farm can dictate what balers we use. Some guys farming will tell you you’re stupid because you don’t roll their way, but they don’t understand farming is a local business. Flat land farming makes it easy for RB’s. Hilly is much easier with LSB’s.

Weight wise, the first “cubes” I made were about 750lbs at only 700lbs of pressure. A little lighter than my average dry feed hay round bales. Its easy to dial-up the pressure and make those cubes weigh 800-900lbs or more. Was trying to find a sweet spot and not pack them too tight being concerned about moisture inside a super tight bale. Left them a little loose to breathe and get used to the baler. Hopefully, next bales will be made at 1000lbs pressure with the goal to get to a 800-900lb cube to match my previous 800-900lb round bales.
My 4x4x8’s were scaling at 2400lbs, so a 5’ bale could easily be 1000+.

These are a few I got into some shelter before the rain hit to stack later.
1655981282567.jpeg

Last edited:
Still feeding rounds, too.
Yesterdays call
I only have about 30 tons of round bale feed hay left. The cubes will start replacing them soon.

1656155801505.jpeg

/ Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales. #9  
Great questions!
As far as maintenance costs, they may be more, but I will say I have had plenty of $ spent fixing round balers, too.
I've never experienced but a very few major break downs since 1987 on my rd balers except belt replacement about ever 20,000 bales & a brg now & then. Several yrs ago I failed to check slip clutch it was seized & gearbox shaft broke when I plugged baler with hay but that was my fault. About 25 yrs ago I did have a brg fail that caused a baler fire but baler was covered by insurance.
What were some of the major rd baler breakdowns you refer to?

Last edited:
   / Made some feed hay using Krone baler-short square bales. #10  
Will they fit inside the fancy feeder?