Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth?

/ Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth? #1  

Oldtoad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310, Bolens-Isiki
Did the shopping, ordered a Frost Bite GR-2o, put it together and it is looking good.
I see the holes where teeth would bolt up, wondering if teeth are needed.
As a low volume user, not likely the lower jaw would wear enough to justify, any opinions?

/ Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth? #2  
OK - so I had to look at the FB web site. Good looking - strong grapple. My Land Pride grapple has teeth - right out on the last 6" of each shank. Both top & bottom lids.

To be honest - I have no idea if they help or not. I would - go ahead - use it as you got it. You will then determine if teeth are necessary or not. My guess - they are NOT really necessary.

You clamp down on any object - tight enough to keep it within the jaws - it's not going anywhere.

Last edited:
   / Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth? #3  
The holes are for add-on optional extension tips. But no reason you couldn't teeth in there. Not really needed though. It is a great log grapple.

FrostBite4.JPG

21_4_6-2.JPG

22_2_15-1.JPG

I bought my extensions from Sundown made for a GR40 grapple. Had to grind them a little.

FrostBite3.JPG

gg

/ Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth? #4  
That Frost Bite grapple would work just great on the rocks I move around.
IMG_0208.jpeg

/ Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth? #6  
Nice lookin logs GG. Straighter than a paralam.

/ Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth? #7  
One thing I had to learn regarding grapple use. How to gauge the clamping force of my grapple. The WR Long 3rd function valving does NOT modulate. It's either on or off.

So - when grappling something soft - one must be watchful. You can - quite easily - crush or cut in half - a soft object. Such as - a pile of brush - my 55 gallon burn barrel - your winter pile of stored garden hose.

The crushing force of a grapple is much greater than most folks will realize - at first.

/ Log Grapple, Frost Bite and Does It Need Teeth?
Thanks for the tip.
First mud, now snow and ice.