Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #41  
Rat guard serves two purposes; provides a shelf for the bottom edge of the metal siding to sit on and keeps pests from entering. I use it as a shelf for the siding. Here is a close-up picture:View attachment 589112

If building a metal sided building on a slab (either with post brackets or studs) you could also tack an extra piece of 2x on the top inside of the forms to leave a similar rabbet for the siding to overlap down into past the top edge of the slab to close off all the rib ends. Backfill the ribs on the inside with grout if desired.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two
Day 7: First....a correction...I decided after my first post to increase the height of the rear wall to 7' instead of 6'. Can always use the extra head room.

Today, I decided to add one more board to all three sides of the wainscotting so it is now 38.5" tall. This will save me one sheet of siding.

Installed the rear panels using 10' panels cut into 2 pcs that are each 5' tall. This worked perfectly....just had to reposition the rat guard.

Really happy with how the panels lined up and how the top of the wall met the roofline.

Will work on the side walls tomorrow. 20190202_134428.jpeg20190202_131517.jpeg20190202_131540.jpeg20190202_131458.jpeg

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #43  
Looks really good!

Thought I would list out the tools that I have used on this project:
* 19.2V Circular Saw
* Two 19.2V Drill Drivers (one as drill and one as screw driver)
* Small 2 cycle generator
* Corded Reciprocating Saw
* Laser Level
* Post Level
* 4' Level
* Try Square with Level
* Hammer
* Several clamps (including long bar clamps)
* Metal shears
* Tape measure
* Extended drill bits (star and phillips)
* Flathead screwdriver
* Drill bit set
* Spade drill bit set
* Hex driver bit set
* Two folding ladders.
* LS XG3037 tractor with pallet forks on the FEL
Used my tractor for digging the post holes, moving supplies and tools to the worksite, lifting and setting the ridge beam in place, worktable (pallet on pallet forks), scaffold, etc...

Day 7: Today I installed the side wall panels. To get the angle right, I placed a piece panel in place (over the J channel) and the traced the cut cut line on the backside of the panel using the J channel as my guide.

Toughest piece was the very last piece on each side which was the last foot at the front and the roof overhang. Lots of tedious cutting. 20190203_134930.jpeg20190203_134908.jpeg

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #46  
Looks really nice. Are you going to stain or paint the exposed wood?

Looks really nice. Are you going to stain or paint the exposed wood?
Yes. I am thinking about a protective deck stain that will bring out the wood grain. Very minimal color. Still researching this.

I am now at the point that I need to install the trim so I thought I should do a little internet research on the subject. I just happened to come across a great manual for building post/pole barns so I thought I would share it. The link is:

Hansen Buildings Construction Manual

This will take you to a site where you can view and/or download all of the chapters in this manual. It is very extensive and an outstanding reference guide.

Hope to get started on the trim this weekend and really want to get this project completed within the next couple of weeks. Can only work on it on the weekends so I try to get as much done on those days as I can.

/ Loafing Shed Build: Day One and Two #49  
What was your total material cost for this loafing shed?

What was your total material cost for this loafing shed?
My finished cost will be approx $1300. I probably could have shaved off $100-$200 with lesser quality products, but I wanted something that would last and have value. I originally got quotes to have it it built and those came in at $2200 to $2300 and used only untreated 2x4 for everything except the corner posts and no wainscott.

I will post a complete material list with costs this weekend.