Lifting truss with FEL

/ Lifting truss with FEL #31  
There’s a local drywall delivery service with a truck like that. They charge a big premium for their work though. I’ve found it to be cheaper to take the free forklift delivery and pay the hanging crew extra to move it inside.
Don't quote me on this, but I think Cully charges $100 p/hr. Cheapest worker on the job when setting trusses. :)

/ Lifting truss with FEL #33  
I have a stump puller that has a 2” receiver that I added a piece of 2x2 tube to for lifting. I made a longer tube (5’) to lift the frames in the picture.
Here, roof trusses are usually delivered by boom truck with a short trailer. Some truss companies here have their own setup complete with pilot car, others hire it out. When we had trusses delivered, a contractor truck with a crane and a 30 foot trailer swung them onto the top of the wall for us. I just braced the stack and then moved them into place a few days later.

My friend who is in a small town had trusses delivered on a trailer with rollers to his front yard and he arranged lifting them to the walls. Cam

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpeg
    IMG_0702.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 85
   / Lifting truss with FEL #34  
That was my other thought. I have a winch on the tractor and could easily put a pulley on top of the vertical pole. Right down the road they sell old telephone poles that could possibly work well.

I was also recalculating - I only need it 10' long instead of 14 since the FEL can lift to almost 8'. Perhaps 2 boards screwed together at 10' long would get me there. I think I have a 50#bag of feed - maybe I'll put that on the end just to test.

That is how we did it on my shop, mounted a HF winch at the top of a couple 14' ? 2x6's screwed and bolted together.
Stabilized it (triangulated) with tie downs to the sides of the bucket. Walls are 14', trusses were 30 feet long.
4/12 pitch (Similar to Farmer 495) I did make top and bottom brackets to attach the 2 by's to the Ford's bucket. It actually worked pretty well.

Attachments

• trusses lifted with Ford 3000.JPG
    trusses lifted with Ford 3000.JPG
    919 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
   / Lifting truss with FEL #35  
Don't quote me on this, but I think Cully charges $100 p/hr. Cheapest worker on the job when setting trusses. :)

I think the last crane I hired was $175 an hour. The drywall delivery boom truck was like $8 a sheet more than having lowes drop it in the driveway. I can have the hanging crew carry it in for $2-3 a sheet.

/ Lifting truss with FEL #36  
Should be a piece of cake. I set my ShelterLogic trusses this way with the vertical posts attached so they were heavier than yours and I have about a 1000 lb lift capacity. I have a 3 point attachment on my loader so I can use my boom pole.

IMG_20231116_100803809.jpg

/ Lifting truss with FEL #37  
Pretty neat process you all have come up with.
For these smaller operations, without a bunch of people walking the roof, how do you unhook the truss from the boom you have up in the air with the tractor in use? Like in the picture directly above?

/ Lifting truss with FEL #38  
Pretty neat process you all have come up with.
For these smaller operations, without a bunch of people walking the roof, how do you unhook the truss from the boom you have up in the air with the tractor in use? Like in the picture directly above?
I used a tow truck "J Hook", kinda like this:

You need to spread the lifting points as wide as possible, so maybe with longer chains if it's a real wide truss. Didn't have to climb up to un-hook anything.

/ Lifting truss with FEL #39  
My friend Cully, who's truck I pictured above, is very good with controlling his boom. If he has a single lift point on a truss he uses a chain with a slip hook. He holds the truss until the workers have it stabilized. Then he slackens the chain and jiggles the boom to get it unhooked. Swings back to the pile and hooks the next one. Is then waiting for the workers to signal him that they are ready. Goes amazingly fast. Cully carries a joystick box on a sling around his neck. He can hook them and hang them by himself.

If it's larger trusses he uses a boom with chains on each end. His truck boom is then chained to the middle of that boom.