Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast!

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #71  
Here are a couple of the one that I made the other week.
We had someone here pouring a floor in the barn, so I had to bring a little extra to put in the barrel.
Not sure what it weighs, it's a 35 gallon plastic barrel with a removable lit. It has a handful of disc brake rotors (4?) and some steel framework in it.
It also has a full set of worn out tines from a 60 inch Kubota rototiller :D.
I left a little bit of space at the top for chain storage, there is a 2in receiver at the bottom and I may put some grommet mount lights in the top.
Its purpose is to either be on the back of the B7500, or on the front of the L3830 if we need extra weight up there (such as when moving round bales).

IMG_20180912_210738.jpeg

IMG_20180913_203307.jpeg

IMG_20180913_203317~2.jpeg

Aaron Z

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #72  
Winter is coming.
I fitted up the front mount snow blower (BX3750D) on the B7200. It's been a project getting up the subframe and pto drive.
New shear bolts for both auger and fan today. The old ones were bent and a BY^^ tch to get out.

The area to be cleared is tight around back. I'm thinking of taking off the three point lower lift arms and hanging weight off the draw bar.
I did this for the Bolens using a length of PTO shaft with a bolt welded to one end. The foot long piece of shafting fit in the place of a trailer ball and sticks straight up. A stack of exercise weights slides down over the shafting. Neat and tidy, close in to the back of the tractor. Hardly out past the wheels. I can get about 150 # on this way without difficulty. That's enough to provide meaningful traction, and offset the blower weight out front. (Might have added #400 to the rear axle if my eyeball math is right.) But I could like more "tonnage" .-0)
It's always a trade off. Easy and simple, or "better" but more difficult. I should find more of the "big" weights. I could hit the gym!

Hmm I've got three "suitcase" weights that won't be needed with the blower out there. Maybe a bit of fabrication is in order... ;-)

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #73  
How does your tractor feel with it? Especially since itç—´ not so close to the rear. I prefer it that way just curious what you have noticed so far with FEL use.

Just installed it last night and haven't used it with the FEL yet. The ride seems more solid with the ballast on. The ballast is to replace the weight of the back hoe that I took off. I'll let you know how it works out with the FEL.

Last edited:
   / Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #75  
What are the dimensions on that block if I may ask?
Gotta be lots of steel in that to be 1600lb... I have a 55gal drum and solidworks tells me that it's like 1200 or so..

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #77  
I had this on 3 tractors now. 21HP New holland, 4310 John Deere and now a Gr L6060. I keep adding weight and paint. Not sure how heavy it is, the center is filled with old wheel weights. The wings are so I can pick it up with my forks.CJMh1GPKR862d66ghMCwiw.jpgv9t8nZWOQ%6m01QUG8Chtw.jpg

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #79  
Nice. How did you keep the chainsaw sheath from compressing with the concrete?

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #80  
I do like the relaxed hydraulic idea that Lynn has. May drop down legs in case of emergency.