Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #11  
It does it on both the raising and lowering of the boom. As far as float, I have not checked. That is an interesting question. If it does float, I am curious to see if the self leveling feature is still active.

The valve has an adjustment for when you move the boom cylinder attachment points from the "maximum lift" position to the "maximum height" position (and vice versa). This adjustment would allow for different cylinder lift ratios -- although I don't know how much adjustment is allowed.

Thanks for the info RK,
out of curiosity, does the tractor seem to work harder when lowering the self level Vs non-self level. That was one of the major drawbacks to our BDSL (Bi-Directional Self Leveling) system. It took more power to lower an empty bucket that it did to raise a full bucket. Our system didn't reduce cycle times enough for most operators to notice.

Reason I am so interested in this is that I installed and made operational the first BDSL package back in the late 80's early 90's. We have never heard of any other comapanies working on a BDSL package but we have not heard of anyone marketing them.

Roy

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #12  
I got it when I purchased the tractor. Under "Build My Kubota" it implies it is part of the loader... when in fact it is just a different loader valve. (Good news for those that would like to "upgrade" to a self leveling valve.)

Anyway, the difference between a "standard" loader and a loader with "self leveling valve" was $872. I got close to 15% off MSRP, so it was like $741 more for the self leveling valve.

I don't know what labor would be if you did this after you already purchased your tractor. Some can do the work themselves and some will have to pay the dealer to install.

I thought this was a fairly standard option, but now that I look at Kubota's website, it looks like this self leveling valve option is only available for the M5040/M6040/M7040/M8540/M9540 and M96S/M108S series tractors. You'll have to call the dealer to see if the website is correct or if you can get one for others.
Thanks for the info

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve
Rk,
a couple of questions

1) Does this level on both raise and lower or raise only?

2) Do you loose the "Float" function?

Just curious because I only know of one company making a dual direction leveling systems and they where not integrated into directional valves.

For those of you asking about using on loaders like a BX24. It may work if the cylinder lift ratio is very similar to the "M" series. The system I am familiar with uses oil coming from the rod end of the lift cylinder to extend or dump the curl cylinders. These are also a little sensitive about oil flow so that could also limit how well they work on different models.

Roy

Sorry I took so long to get back. Been taking down trees in my pasture...

Anyway, the float function still works when the valve is in the self leveling mode, however the self leveling functionality is disabled/bypassed. In other words, when the self leveling feature is turned on, you can float the boom... but when you float the boom (with self leveling on) there is no self leveling. It behaves just like the self leveling feature was disabled. Normally, when the self leveling feature is enabled, it moves slower. When "floating" it moves like the self leveling feature is turned off (faster). Sounds like the circuit is completely bypassed.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve
Thanks for the info RK,
out of curiosity, does the tractor seem to work harder when lowering the self level Vs non-self level. That was one of the major drawbacks to our BDSL (Bi-Directional Self Leveling) system. It took more power to lower an empty bucket that it did to raise a full bucket. Our system didn't reduce cycle times enough for most operators to notice.

Reason I am so interested in this is that I installed and made operational the first BDSL package back in the late 80's early 90's. We have never heard of any other comapanies working on a BDSL package but we have not heard of anyone marketing them.

Roy

I don't remember if the tractor "works" harder (I haven't actually used this yet... just been playing with it), however it does move slower. Next time I'm in the field, I'll mess with it.

FYI: the Kubota part number for the valve is: M1864-HYD (that is for the whole "kit" -- not real sure what all is in the kit other than the valve). Looks like the part number is M1858 for the smaller Ms.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #15  
I have been trying to "adjust" one on a M7060 tractor with LA1184 loader.
According to the manual it is factory set for the loader when the boom lift cylinders are pinned to the max height position, when you change to the maximum load position it needs re-adjustment.
This tractor was delivered about 4 years ago with the boom cylinders pinned to max lift, but the dealer didn't set it up properly, i.e. it has never worked correctly.

Any hints, clues, wisdom ?

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #16  
The manual suggests a special tool (of course) that clamps to the pallet forks.
Basically it is a pendulum and you make adjustments by leveling manually at fully down, then raising to fully up and messing with the proportioning valve until there is a 4 degree or less change. Similarly for the lowering valve, start by leveling manually at full lift, fiddle with the valve to get withing 4 degrees at the fully lowered position.

DAMMIT a decent parallelogram linkage would have been SO much simpler and less error prone.

In the absence of their cute little gauge I am thinking of rigging up a water level, i.e. about 6 ft of clear plastic hose with a 4 ft 2x4 and (...details).

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #17  
OP: dealer once mentioned that the self leveling function "robs" some of the fel lifting capacity. i have no way of knowing that not having one. anything to that? regards

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #18  
I doubt that, since it is essentially a "bleed off" of returning fluid.

No matter, it is WAY too stupidly complex and the adjustment is way too finicky.

See JD (a.k.a. Kukje & Humpolec contract builders) for simpler, more robust and more reliable solution - - hint/clue parallelogram arms.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #19  
I doubt that, since it is essentially a "bleed off" of returning fluid.

No matter, it is WAY too stupidly complex and the adjustment is way too finicky.

See JD (a.k.a. Kukje & Humpolec contract builders) for simpler, more robust and more reliable solution - - hint/clue parallelogram arms.
Or even two parallel cylinders on top of the lift cylinders tied to the curl cylinders also work very nicely and it's way more reliable that those self leveling valves that keep losing position. It's more compact and doesn't really reduce visibility. Some of those self leveling linkages can take a lot room.

84701935_2735897679839196_5252415557541560320_o.jpg

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #20  
DAMMIT a decent parallelogram linkage would have been SO much simpler and less error prone.
I had a Kubota B21 with a parallelogram linkage, but I did not like it. Disabled it. The B26 seems to have some sort of feedback mechanism with a cable that only levels the bucket near the top of the lift. Dunno how it works.

Makes sense to do this function hydraulically.