Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #1  

rjkobbeman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD-12 2010
I thought I would share information about the Self Leveling Valve that I ordered with my FEL. I have seen questions raised about this valve and I had questions/concerns myself, prior to purchase.

The Kubota Self Leveling Valve is a FEL valve that is in place of the standard FEL valve. It allows you to maintain your bucket at a constant position while raising and/or lowering the boom. Often times you will use it with pallet forks, maintaining a "level" position. However, unlike the name implies, it does not "self level" and it is not restricted to the "level" position. The operator has to put the buck/forks in the desired position (which can be any position), then the valve will maintain that position. This info is kind of assumed, but I thought I would share it anyway.

There is no linkage (mechanical or otherwise) that provides "feedback" to the bucket position. How this works is the loader valve accurately meters hydraulic flow to the boom and bucket. To maintain a constant bucket position, a specific amount of fluid is moved into or out of the bucket for a given amount of fluid moving in or out of the boom. Because there is no "feedback", the valve does not know if it is correct or not, it just meters the flow of fluid. Its metering is spot on though!

On my loader, there are two boom cylinder mount points. One is for maximum lift weight, the other for maximum lift height. If I change from one mount point to the other, the valve must be recalibrated. This is described in the FEL manual.

There is a lever on the valve, just below the joystick, that allows you to enable or disable the self leveling operation. Disabling the self leveling removes any restrictions from the self leveling operation. Speed is one restriction (the boom raises and lowers slower when in self leveling mode).

I think I covered everything. If you have any questions, fire away.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #2  
Nice feature for stacking things, like round bales, or pallets.

Sean

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve
Yeah.

I knew what a self leveling feature was... but there have been a lot of questions about Kubota's implementation of it. Just thought I would share the details now that I have it and can speak about it.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #4  
so what type of $ $ $ did you spend on it.
Thanks

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #5  
Thanks for sharing.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #6  
I wonder if this could be used on a BX24?

so what type of $ $ $ did you spend on it.
Thanks

I got it when I purchased the tractor. Under "Build My Kubota" it implies it is part of the loader... when in fact it is just a different loader valve. (Good news for those that would like to "upgrade" to a self leveling valve.)

Anyway, the difference between a "standard" loader and a loader with "self leveling valve" was $872. I got close to 15% off MSRP, so it was like $741 more for the self leveling valve.

I don't know what labor would be if you did this after you already purchased your tractor. Some can do the work themselves and some will have to pay the dealer to install.

I thought this was a fairly standard option, but now that I look at Kubota's website, it looks like this self leveling valve option is only available for the M5040/M6040/M7040/M8540/M9540 and M96S/M108S series tractors. You'll have to call the dealer to see if the website is correct or if you can get one for others.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #8  
Rk,
a couple of questions

1) Does this level on both raise and lower or raise only?

2) Do you loose the "Float" function?

Just curious because I only know of one company making a dual direction leveling systems and they where not integrated into directional valves.

For those of you asking about using on loaders like a BX24. It may work if the cylinder lift ratio is very similar to the "M" series. The system I am familiar with uses oil coming from the rod end of the lift cylinder to extend or dump the curl cylinders. These are also a little sensitive about oil flow so that could also limit how well they work on different models.

Roy

Rk,
a couple of questions

1) Does this level on both raise and lower or raise only?

2) Do you loose the "Float" function?

Just curious because I only know of one company making a dual direction leveling systems and they where not integrated into directional valves.

For those of you asking about using on loaders like a BX24. It may work if the cylinder lift ratio is very similar to the "M" series. The system I am familiar with uses oil coming from the rod end of the lift cylinder to extend or dump the curl cylinders. These are also a little sensitive about oil flow so that could also limit how well they work on different models.

Roy

It does it on both the raising and lowering of the boom. As far as float, I have not checked. That is an interesting question. If it does float, I am curious to see if the self leveling feature is still active.

The valve has an adjustment for when you move the boom cylinder attachment points from the "maximum lift" position to the "maximum height" position (and vice versa). This adjustment would allow for different cylinder lift ratios -- although I don't know how much adjustment is allowed.

/ Kubota FEL with Self Leveling Valve #10  
I would think it's probably tune-able within limits for the volume you want.

Pretty expensive for my blood, I don't use the tractor enough for stacking that I'd really need the option.

Sean