JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors?

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #21  
Thank you very much for your suggestions and the tips. I will have the job done by someone who knows what he is doing because, as another member mentioned, a injector puller tool is required for this kind of job and I don't want to screw it up. I appreciate your taking the time to send those links.

Does the manual say you must have a puller?

I pulled Ford 1310 injectors without puller or any difficulty.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #22  
Does the manual say you must have a puller?

I pulled Ford 1310 injectors without puller or any difficulty.

I'm thinking it depends more on the engine, alloys, tolerances than on the manual. Some injectors pull easily. Yanmars are notoriously tough engines to pull the injectors out. It's just a guess, but my guess is he will need a puller on that engine. Not that there is any reason why he can't try it without one. All that will do is maybe mess up an injector but it sounds like he is going to replace them anyway.

Of course any mechanic with a box full of puller, scrap iron, a torch and some threaded rod can probably fabricate something that will work - the injectors have an accessible thread, the head is flat, and they are all three separate and on top of the engine. Old individual injector type diesels are deliberately built to be easy to service. Very simple engines

If they do come out without damage the injectors come apart and can even be rebuilt. These are old style individual mechanical injectors - not the new electric/hydraulic ultra-pressure common rail types.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #23  
Excellent advice, I will follow your suggestions. Thank you very much. I am not a spring chicken myself and I thought that my
preference for older, skilled people and old equipment was just because I can't keep up.

It's not just you and I keeping up, the whole manufacturing industry has changed while we weren't watching. It took them awhile, but manufacturers finally noticed that maybe perfecting all the best features in tractors that were high quality and designed to be easily repaired wasn't the brightest profit-making idea they could have had.....

So in the last 20/25 years they changed from repairable and gone whole hog towards replaceable. It's been a major shift in manufacturing philosophy, and we are just beginning to see the changes that will create in everything from education to economics. If you are interested, google some articles on "The Right to Repair".

For those of us who like wrenching, we are living in a Golden Age. Good old machines of every type are dirt cheap and available everywhere.
Enjoy!
rScotty

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #24  
One of the problems with green paint is that they figure if you paid the premium price for the equipment, you can also afford to pay a premium for service and parts. The same thing happens in the auto world. Wife drove an A6 for a few years...oil changes and everything else were more expensive. Same with Lexus vs Toyota...an ES300 is a Camry with nicer appointments and you pay more for maintenance, parts and repairs. Congrats? You're rich? :)

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors?
Your location is listed as brattleboro, Vt. Ask your extension service or the Vermont Farm Bureau to recommend a mechanic. Swapping injectors - with the right tools - is just a little more difficult than changing spark plugs - as long as you don't have to drop the engine for access.
/edit - And don't do what I did on my IDI 7.3 Ford - Don't get air in the injector lines - it took me a LONG tome cranking to bleed it out!!
Thank you very much for the advice. The injectors are right on top and by looking at the service manual it is a very easy job (for someone who knows how to do it). I found out that it requires a puller at the cost of $100. That is nothing compared to the $1,000 (one thousand) PER INJECTOR = total $3,000 that the local JD asked for. All I need to find now is a mechanic.

It's not just you and I keeping up, the whole manufacturing industry has changed while we weren't watching. It took them awhile, but manufacturers finally noticed that maybe perfecting all the best features in tractors that were high quality and designed to be easily repaired wasn't the brightest profit-making idea they could have had.....

So in the last 20/25 years they changed from repairable and gone whole hog towards replaceable. It's been a major shift in manufacturing philosophy, and we are just beginning to see the changes that will create in everything from education to economics. If you are interested, google some articles on "The Right to Repair".

For those of us who like wrenching, we are living in a Golden Age. Good old machines of every type are dirt cheap and available everywhere.
Enjoy!
rScotty
Indeed, when I bought my first car in the '70s windshield wipers used to last a lifetime. Then they got worse but at least you could just change the blade (a pain in the butt but manageable). Now they last maybe a season and you have to throw away the whole thing and buy new ones.
What a waste, just for the sake of indecent profit.

Thank you, I am learning a lot through the thoughtful suggestions I receive. Contacting the extension service and farm bureau is a great idea and I will add it to list of possible resources also for future reference. I found out that my tractor requires a specialized puller to remove
the injectors. It's not too expensive but the complexity is still above my level. I will definitely need an expert to work on it.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #28  
Rememer that the injetors take a special kind of washer.
Order them from the agents
I do not have the part number

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #29  
$135/hr is not out of line for shop time, but I'm curious about the "cleaning" part. Are they disassembling the injector and inspecting the pintle and seat? Doing a pop test with calibration fluid? Not really worth it for a $118 injector, but pop testing a new one is. I have found defective new injectors by pop testing.
If they found diesel bugs and dirt in your tank that ruined your injection pump, that tells me that you are not up on changing primary and secondary fuel filters, and not insuring you're using clean and dry fuel.

Last edited:
   / JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #30  
$135/hr is not out of line for shop time, but I'm curious about the "cleaning" part. Are they disassembling the injector and inspecting the pintle and seat? Doing a pop test? Not really worth it for a $118 injector, but pop testing a new one is. I have found defective new injectors by pop testing.
If they found diesel bugs and dirt in your tank that ruined your injection pump, that tells me that you are not up on changing primary and secondary fuel filters, and not insuring you're using clean and dry fuel.

What I am learning is that doing any type of mechanical work is now considered a specialty and the work is priced beyond most tractor owners....nor do they have the impetus to use tools. That is interesting in a way, because doing things for ourselves is traditionally how a recession/depression economic cycle is dealt with at the personal level. This one may be different. Although to make that even more attractive, the price of parts - even JD1050 parts - still seems reasonable.

Looking online, at $125 for a replacement fuel tank and $60 for a complete primary filter including mounting, it is hardly worth cleaning the old ones. An injector pump at $525 and injectors for $118.... add them all up along with a few tools and it seems easier and cheaper to simply replace the entire fuel system. That's a job any high school mechanic could do.

rScotty