JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors?

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #11  
$135/hour in labor? That is rough...
Welcome to the wonderful world of equipment ownership.

Once you drop your equipment off to them, they have you by the nutz. You better be ready to stand up to them, because they’ll fleece you if they‘re dishonest.

Post covid labor rates are much higher because service trucks guzzle diesel fuel and everyone’s wages went up. Parts & lubricants went up (if you can get them) and shipping went up. Steel went up.

My advice to the OP to is go get his tractor and DIY or find a dealer who doesn’t specialize in taking advantage of their customers.

Last edited:
   / JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #12  
Welcome to the wonderful world of equipment ownership.

Once you drop your equipment off to them, they have you by the nutz. You better be ready to stand up to them, because they’ll fleece you if they‘re dishonest.

Post covid labor rates are much higher because service trucks guzzle diesel fuel and everyone’s wages went up. Parts & lubricants went up (if you can get them) and shipping went up. Steel went up.

The last time I brought a machine in for Labor it was $80 for L&G and $100 for larger equipment. Of course that was before $4.99/gal gasoline and $6.99 diesel, you know, 9 months ago. 🙄

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #13  
New injectors are only $118.95 each at Hoyetractor.com who sells Yanmar/John Deere parts. East to change if not stuck. Hoye also sells a removal tool.

And there is your answer Farmer Marx. That is a Yanmar and the JD/Yanmar 1050 was a premium tractor. A good one. Still is. And not only is it a model made to be rebuilt and serviced indefinitely, it is only 30 years old! Wish I was so young.

Yanmar is top of the line - which is why JD picked them no doubt...... but to fix it, go to a Yanmar shop for vintage Yanmars like Hoyetractor. Buy new injectors and rent the puller from him. Yes, you will need that special puller. Definitely.

Assuming that you know how to work a puller and when to stop and back off and when to pull harder.... well, it's about a one hour job to replace the three if you have done it before. . If you want to take three hours to to do it you can get the njector mounts surgically clean, pattern the spray against a piece of cardboard, check them for the "injection break pressure" (if you have the tool) and still have time to wash and wax the tractor.

There's really nothing else to do. It's what a real mechanic calls a "bread and butter" job.
Someone is either pulling your leg or trying to take serious advantage. Deal with a vintage Yanmar group. There are a number of them .... in fact there is one on this forum.

rScotty

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors?
I am not familiar with 1980 - 1989 JD 1050 other than looked at the specs, but it's no big deal to remove & reinstall injectors, if the injection system is similar to my Ford & Kubota shown in photos below.

If you have the proper tools just follow the instructions in the "big" manual you already have and take them to local Diesel injection shop to be checked out & rebuilt if needed.

Depending who is doing the job, maybe up to 1 hour to remove all three of them, and up to 1.5 hrs. to reinstall?

Injection timing is not affected by injector removal & reinstall.

1986 Ford 1310

View attachment 755765

1996 Kubota F3060

View attachment 755764
Thank you. The injectors are right on top of the engine and it does look like an easy job in the tech/repair manual.

And there is your answer Farmer Marx. That is a Yanmar and the JD/Yanmar 1050 was a premium tractor. A good one. Still is. And not only is it a model made to be rebuilt and serviced indefinitely, it is only 30 years old! Wish I was so young.

Yanmar is top of the line - which is why JD picked them no doubt...... but to fix it, go to a Yanmar shop for vintage Yanmars like Hoyetractor. Buy new injectors and rent the puller from him. Yes, you will need that special puller. Definitely.

Assuming that you know how to work a puller and when to stop and back off and when to pull harder.... well, it's about a one hour job to replace the three if you have done it before. . If you want to take three hours to to do it you can get the njector mounts surgically clean, pattern the spray against a piece of cardboard, check them for the "injection break pressure" (if you have the tool) and still have time to wash and wax the tractor.

There's really nothing else to do. It's what a real mechanic calls a "bread and butter" job.
Someone is either pulling your leg or trying to take serious advantage. Deal with a vintage Yanmar group. There are a number of them .... in fact there is one on this forum.

rScotty
Thank you very much. There is a Yanmar dealer not too far from here but they insist they only service brands they sell and since my tractor is a JD they won't touch it. I know, it sounds nuts. Go figure. I will call around to see if other tractor service shops in the area can do the job (everybody is so backed up their voice mailbox are full). Your suggestions were very very useful.

New injectors are only $118.95 each at Hoyetractor.com who sells Yanmar/John Deere parts. East to change if not stuck. Hoye also sells a removal tool.
Thank you very much for your suggestions and the tips. I will have the job done by someone who knows what he is doing because, as another member mentioned, a injector puller tool is required for this kind of job and I don't want to screw it up. I appreciate your taking the time to send those links.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #18  
Thank you very much. There is a Yanmar dealer not too far from here but they insist they only service brands they sell and since my tractor is a JD they won't touch it. I know, it sounds nuts. Go figure. I will call around to see if other tractor service shops in the area can do the job (everybody is so backed up their voice mailbox are full). Your suggestions were very very useful.

Not a modern Yanmar dealer. Modern dealers are salesmen, not mechanical guys - as you have found out at JD.

What you want is a VINTAGE or CLASSIC Yanmar dealer. There is a huge difference. Go down to the vintage Yanmar forum

or go to Hoyetractor.com online.

best luck,
rScotty

and lucky for you, this one is easy....you are just trying to work with the wrong team.
So far you have been asking mechanical questions of salesmen. Might as well be talking physics to a duck.
You need mechanical guys.

Not a modern Yanmar dealer. Modern dealers are salesmen, not mechanical guys - as you have found out at JD.

What you want is a VINTAGE or CLASSIC Yanmar dealer. There is a huge difference. Go down to the vintage Yanmar forum

or go to Hoyetractor.com online.

best luck,
rScotty

and lucky for you, this one is easy....you are just trying to work with the wrong team.
So far you have been asking mechanical questions of salesmen. Might as well be talking physics to a duck.
You need mechanical guys.
Excellent advice, I will follow your suggestions. Thank you very much. I am not a spring chicken myself and I thought that my
preference for older, skilled people and old equipment was just because I can't keep up.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #20  
Your location is listed as brattleboro, Vt. Ask your extension service or the Vermont Farm Bureau to recommend a mechanic. Swapping injectors - with the right tools - is just a little more difficult than changing spark plugs - as long as you don't have to drop the engine for access.
/edit - And don't do what I did on my IDI 7.3 Ford - Don't get air in the injector lines - it took me a LONG tome cranking to bleed it out!!

Last edited: