JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors?

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #1  

farmer marx

Tractor
deere la105
I have a JD 1050 (I believe it is 20 + years old) with a 3-cylincer Yanmar engine. The JD dealer replace the fuel injector pump (that I bought) and now wants to 'clean' the injectors.
The estimate he game me seems way too high.
Does anyone know how many hours it would take to install the three injectors?
I am considering buying new ones (they don't seem too expensive) but I am concerned about the labor cost for installing them.

Thank you (I am new to this kind of world, just took over a small farm from my retired father-in-law who is no longer physically and mentally able.)

Farmer Marx

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #2  
If you know how to replace the injectors, then do it.
But if you don't, then I myself would not, nor recommend to you, to do them.

What was the reason/problem that the injector pump was replaced ?? Hopefully the dealer isn't just replacing parts and hoping to solve the problem. i.e. the injector pump didn't solve it so now trying new injectors. If that original problem didn't get fixed, and you do the injectors and still there is a problem, then you own the problem. If the dealer doesn't solve the problem after new pump and new injectors, seems they own the problem. Not a fun position to be in, but you want a good running 1050 in the end.

The JD 1050 was made '80 to '89, so 30+ yrs old.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors?

What was the reason/problem that the injector pump was replaced ?? Hopefully the dealer isn't just replacing parts and hoping to solve the problem. i.e. the injector pump didn't solve it so now trying new injectors. If that original problem didn't get fixed, and you do the injectors and still there is a problem, then you own the problem. If the dealer doesn't solve the problem after new pump and new injectors, seems they own the problem. Not a fun position to be in, but you want a good running 1050 in the end.

Thank you, the situation is easier and more complicated. I simply suspect a mega scam by the JD dealer who took it in and now wants to skin me alive.
He was supposed to replace the fuel pump and clean up the fuel tank and lines. I provided the part. A month and a half later ("we are backed up") he told me that the foreman left the shop but that before leaving had removed ONE injector and cleaned it up. Total labor for the injector only: 8 hours at $135.hr. Now they want authorization to clean the other 2 injectors at the price of $1000 each (mind you, not even replace with new ones, just clean up.)
If you are familiar with this engine, the injectors sit right on top. I have the big repair manual and it looks like a 4 step operation. Nothing complicated, but, since I don't know if there are particular precautions, I am not going to try myself. Moreover, I don't have the tool to check pressure and don't know how to set the timing.
Do you have any advice on how many hours it would take to complete this job?
Thank you in advance.

Farmer Marx

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #4  
Thank you, the situation is easier and more complicated. I simply suspect a mega scam by the JD dealer who took it in and now wants to skin me alive.
He was supposed to replace the fuel pump and clean up the fuel tank and lines. I provided the part. A month and a half later ("we are backed up") he told me that the foreman left the shop but that before leaving had removed ONE injector and cleaned it up. Total labor for the injector only: 8 hours at $135.hr. Now they want authorization to clean the other 2 injectors at the price of $1000 each (mind you, not even replace with new ones, just clean up.)
If you are familiar with this engine, the injectors sit right on top. I have the big repair manual and it looks like a 4 step operation. Nothing complicated, but, since I don't know if there are particular precautions, I am not going to try myself. Moreover, I don't have the tool to check pressure and don't know how to set the timing.
Do you have any advice on how many hours it would take to complete this job?
Thank you in advance.

Farmer Marx
You ARE being skinned alive.

In my previous answer I should have clarified that there was some kind of debris that ended up in the fuel pump and ruined it. When they cleaned the tank the dealer said they found algaes and specs of dirt. From what I understand, the foreman decided to clean up also the injectors, but it is not clear if he did it because the problem was still there, or if he did it "just in case" the injectors were dirty.
The fact that the foreman is no longer working there makes it easier for the dealer to claim ignorance about the various steps.
And I am stuck with questions and nobody to answer them.
Thank you again.
Farmer Marx

You ARE being skinned alive.
Thank you for confirming that. Do you have any idea how many hours it would take to replace the injectors?

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #7  
$135/hour in labor? That is rough...

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #8  
I am not familiar with 1980 - 1989 JD 1050 other than looked at the specs, but it's no big deal to remove & reinstall injectors, if the injection system is similar to my Ford & Kubota shown in photos below.

If you have the proper tools just follow the instructions in the "big" manual you already have and take them to local Diesel injection shop to be checked out & rebuilt if needed.

Depending who is doing the job, maybe up to 1 hour to remove all three of them, and up to 1.5 hrs. to reinstall?

Injection timing is not affected by injector removal & reinstall.

1986 Ford 1310

Tractor 015.jpg

1996 Kubota F3060

IMG_5460.JPG

Last edited:
   / JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #9  
New injectors are only $118.95 each at Hoyetractor.com who sells Yanmar/John Deere parts. East to change if not stuck. Hoye also sells a removal tool.

/ JD 1050 - LABOR COST for cleaning and reinstalling injectors? #10  
Thank you for confirming that. Do you have any idea how many hours it would take to replace the injectors?
I could do them in an hour IF they’re old school mechanical injectors. Did my DTA466 injectors in my dump truck (upgraded to bigger injectors) in a few hours.

Last edited: