installing door in pole barn

/ installing door in pole barn #1  

mike cook

Tractor
65 massey
I was wondering if any body has a picture showing how you frame up for your walk in door ?? and also how you trimmed out the outside of it thanks

/ installing door in pole barn #2  
Here is one way. Can only post pic at a time

image-4213185211.jpg

/ installing door in pole barn #3  
image-1602328163.jpg

I like to take the posts all the way to the roof framing.

/ installing door in pole barn #5  
Here are a few I took during construction. I hope you can enlarge them and see the detail you need.
P9030150.JPG P9080161.JPG P9100166.JPG

/ installing door in pole barn #6  
I think you are seeing a pretty consistent pattern here. I don't have a chance right now to show the details, but here are a few pictures of a door replacement I did. The original door was all metal (door and frame) and made for the 6" thick poles and metal siding, but it was installed badly and completely rusted out. I replaced it with a standard residential metal pre-hung door. I started out by putting in new 2x6 studs all the way up, as tman recommended. I then framed the door opening inside these studs with 2x4s, biased to be even with the inside of the 2x6s (because I was going to finish the interior. I then installed the pre-hung door, with brick mold trim, into the 2x4s. This left the door recessed, but when I put new siding on, I trimmed it out with metal trim inserted into the gap between the 2x6s and the brick mold. Worked out very well. I won't be back home until this weekend but I will try to get some detailed photos to show how the final trim worked out.

door1.jpgdoor2.jpgfinal4.jpg

/ installing door in pole barn #7  
KennyG, was the trim something you put together or was it purpose-made metal siding trim? It looks like it matches the other doors really well.

/ installing door in pole barn #8  
It is the standard "L", "J", and drip edge trim that is available from the metal siding suppliers. I replaced all the siding and trim after I replaced the entry door and added a new second overhead door.

/ installing door in pole barn
thanks guys this helps I'm used to regular framing with studs vertical my main thing is to keep things flashed and water tight wish me luck mike

/ installing door in pole barn #10  
I used the vinyl brick mold trim, attaching it with Stainless screws, when replacing the wooden stuff, after it started rotting within 3 years.