Identifying grass in my "lawn"

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #11  
Looks like Bluegrass/Tall Fescue blend to me, won't turn green until mid May in a "normal" spring.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #12  
Looks like Bluegrass/Tall Fescue blend to me, won't turn green until mid May in a "normal" spring.

Not sure about that. I have mostly bluegrass and fescue in my lawn and it is slightly green right now - although it has been a warm winter. With the brownness he shows in the photos I have to agree that it is probably a southern grass.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #13  
With deep brown and spreading , I think it is zoysia
Too brown for blue grass or fescue

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #14  
Jeez, this is way too cryptic. Maybe come back when it's growing and post a good quality picture.

It definitely sounds like a warm season grass. If it is bermuda, the seeds would have been tiny grains almost like sand, not large and elongated like a typical grass seed. If you had put down bermuda seed, you would have remembered that type of seed I think.

Bermuda will send out runners almost like vines, which will be more obvious near sidewalks. Bermuda also has a "helicopter" looking seed head.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #15  
Sounds like Bermuda to me. It won't green until temp up to 80.

But we have entirely different climates and grasses.

Like said best bet is County Extension.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn"
I plan to let a patch about 3 ft. diameter grow to maturity this year. We shall see what happens.

Kevin

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #17  
It kinda looks like Tiff...which is a variety of Bermuda. I have some in my front yard, but have never liked it. Too much shade, and it is pretty slow growing. It is very fine leafed, and they use it a lot on golf courses. Not great in cold climates.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #18  
I have never seen anyone plant zoysia seed -- only plugs. then again I've never seen an elephant fly. But if you can plant it by seed this would be a blessing for my place. I have Japanese Stilt Grass invading the yard, the fields, the woods, everywhere. And if the Bermuda grass is a good competitor I might try some of that. in any case, this has been a very useful thread.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #20  
I plan to let a patch about 3 ft. diameter grow to maturity this year. We shall see what happens.

Kevin

If you do that you will have plenty of grass seed. That's where I get all my grass seed. 2,4-d the area so I don't get a crop of weed seeds, then scythe off the mature grass and spread it in the areas I want to seed, followed by a pass with the lawnmower set to mulch rather than discharge. Why buy what will grow naturally?