Identifying grass in my "lawn"

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hey all, I'm trying to figure out what type of grass I have in my "lawn". Most of my yard is a mess of weeds, clover, and various types of grasses. It was originally a hay field when I bought the property. About 10 years ago I planted new grass seed in a small area, about 15' x 15' when I moved my propane tank. I have no idea what type of seed I used but it turned out to be the best grass in the yard.

The 15' x 15' area has spread to about 30' x 30' now over the 10 years it's been there. The grass is so thick that no weeds grow in it at all. It is the last area of the yard to turn from brown to green in the spring and it's the first to turn from green to brown in the fall. When it's freshly mowed it looks like a thick plush carpet. I'd really like to plant a lot more if I could figure out what it is. How would one go about identifying the grass? Would it help to let a small area go the seed maybe?

Kevin

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #2  
Contribute 2-3 pictures, for a start.

2,4-D based herbicides ("Kills the weeds, not the lawn.") will eliminate the weeds allowing ALL grass to spread.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn"
Contribute 2-3 pictures, for a start.

2,4-D based herbicides ("Kills the weeds, not the lawn.") will eliminate the weeds allowing ALL grass to spread.

Not sure if these will help. 02/25/17, East Central Illinois, snow flurries on the grass. Nice beer cans in the background, the dog got into the recycling again! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
   / Identifying grass in my "lawn" #4  
The way it stays brown, sounds like definitely a "warm season" grass (bermuda, zoysia).

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #5  
It is going to have to grow a lot more before it can be identified, perhaps late spring a photo might work for someone.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #7  
Where you bought the seed may help. Was it a mom & pop hardware store, big box store, seed dealership or from the internet?

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #8  
From your description and the picture of the stems it's probably either Zoysia or bluegrass. Zoysia tends to brown or lose its color at the first hard frost. It also grows incredibly tight like a carpet, and creeps. Bluegrass has similar characteristics, but in my experience isn't quite as tight.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #9  
A full specimen would certainly help. Provide 2 or 3 to your extension office and see if they will send it to the lab. Some things that are looked at to identify grasses are hairs on the midrib or leaf, leaf shape, clasping or fringed sheath area, spreads by rhisomes or a separate plant, etc. Of course the seed head really helps if the plant is left to grow to that stage.

/ Identifying grass in my "lawn" #10  
A full specimen would certainly help. Provide 2 or 3 to your extension office and see if they will send it to the lab. Some things that are looked at to identify grasses are hairs on the midrib or leaf, leaf shape, clasping or fringed sheath area, spreads by rhisomes or a separate plant, etc. Of course the seed head really helps if the plant is left to grow to that stage.

I agree. I have doubts about it being zoysia. The OP said he seeded the area, but zoysia is hard to establish without sprigging, even in the South.

Steve