I give Up looking for a trailer.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Been looking for a drop deck 24-26' 14k gooseneck trailer for awhile now. Dont really "need" one as my dual tandem 25' works fine. Just wanted to upgrade to newer, lower deck for easier loading, and less weight/better mileage since I have no need for a 24k trailer anymore.

Started looking last year for a good used one....and the ones that I saw never lasted long before sold.

In April this year I was exhausted looking for a used trailer or even a dealer that had a new one in stock that fit the bill. So I was ready to bite the bullet and order a sure-trac exactly what I wanted. Was told $7300 but the hold up was 25-26 week lead time.

I figured April is just starting my busy season, and if I was gonna wait 6 months for a trailer....I might as well wait til fall and have my wait time over the winter (all the while hoping one would come up for sale reasonably).

Seems they keep getting fewer and farther in between and the ones that I do see keep going up in price. So I though screw it I am ordering the suretrac.

Welp....thats out again.....price in just two months has gone from $7300 to $8700 With no guarantee on price and that it is subject to go up even more but not to exceed 5%. So that kinda tells me Id be looking at ~$9300.

Ive been following steel and lumber prices and havent seen ANYTHING in the last two months that would warrant another ~25-30% price hike? What gives? IS this just MFG's getting greedy now?

I think Im just gonna wait til market corrects and comes back into check.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #2  
Inflation has simply caught up with some of the smaller manufacturers, that's all...don't expect prices to drop significantly (at all) anytime soon. Most never really raised prices much, even with lumber and metal prices increasing, but that has changed now that even finding reliable labor is a challenge.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #3  
I’ve been looking for a 14 or 16 k tilt deck. But I have enough trailers to get by and I’m not paying 10k for one.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #4  
There are still deals out there on used trailers, you just have to be willing to jump on them as soon as you find them. I just picked up a 7k lb 16' equipment trailer last week for $1k, although it will need tires soon.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #5  
I quit looking for a heavy duty farm wagon and built my own. Brand new Horst ten ton running gear. Great for just about everything around here on the property. Being a farm wagon - not designed for use on the public roads.

IMG_0003.jpeg

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #6  
Supply and demand, inflation catching up, and probably most important, payroll protection money dried up.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #7  
There are still deals out there on used trailers, you just have to be willing to jump on them as soon as you find them. I just picked up a 7k lb 16' equipment trailer last week for $1k, although it will need tires soon.
I'd take that all day.. Nothing here less than $4k-5k and they need decks..

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #8  
I don't know if anyone is making a ton of money, Materials seem ridiculous, and good labor is always hard to find, and seems worse now. I hate waiting, but, I think the only way to effect price is to reduce demand and buy only what we really need until stuff settles a bit.

Best,

ed

Last edited:
   / I give Up looking for a trailer. #10