I give Up looking for a trailer.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #31  
I read that China is trying to ramp up production post COVID and buying all sorts of stuff. They are causing price spikes. It's why natural gas has gone up. I think they know that if they can drive up prices then they can drive some of the competition out of business.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #32  
I count myself lucky on making some major purchases before pricing went nuts. All of those items are now more expensive with long wait times.

It's been interesting to watch the buying habits of some of my neighbors, who are doing major carpentry projects, buying boats, etc. Worst possible time to build anything with store-bought lumber but they seem to have no idea prices are insane or don't mind overpaying. Folks who bought a boat paid full MSRP and then had to wait 6 weeks for their outboard motor to show up. I would have no stomach for those purchases. I think if enough people stuck to their principles and stopped over-paying for stuff, the market would have to come back down to reality.

I need to re-deck my trailer but no darn way I am paying for store-bought treated lumber at current prices. I will probably end up milling my own yellow pine lumber and then soak the heck out of it with used motor oil and hope it lasts long enough to justify the trouble (previous treated lumber deck made it about 8 years).

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #33  
I believe that much of the supply issue (for anyrhing) is a Covid casualty. Can't even get oyster shells for my chickens (in the last 6 months) because oyster farming has ceased due to covid. Strange times continue. Keep looking for used I concluded, for my needs. All the best.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #34  
I count myself lucky on making some major purchases before pricing went nuts. All of those items are now more expensive with long wait times.

It's been interesting to watch the buying habits of some of my neighbors, who are doing major carpentry projects, buying boats, etc. Worst possible time to build anything with store-bought lumber but they seem to have no idea prices are insane or don't mind overpaying. Folks who bought a boat paid full MSRP and then had to wait 6 weeks for their outboard motor to show up. I would have no stomach for those purchases. I think if enough people stuck to their principles and stopped over-paying for stuff, the market would have to come back down to reality.

I need to re-deck my trailer but no darn way I am paying for store-bought treated lumber at current prices. I will probably end up milling my own yellow pine lumber and then soak the heck out of it with used motor oil and hope it lasts long enough to justify the trouble (previous treated lumber deck made it about 8 years).
I just bought the 2x8s to re-deck my trailer the other day. I had looked/priced Lowe's before I checked with my local hardware store and was amazed that the local store had #1 ground contact for $10 a board cheaper than that crap Lowe's sells. I bought 11 16' and 11 8' and it was just at $500. Was going to be around $700 at Lowe's. Am letting it dry a little before installing ...

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #36  
Lumber prices are going to start creeping down. Mills have been running at full production for over a year and are starting to catch up.

If you have any finish work planned I would buy the lumber now... those prices are bound to rise.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #37  
   / I give Up looking for a trailer. #38  
A lot of people have more incentive to sit home and do nothing while collecting than working in a hot, sweaty trailer shop.
That’s what the salesman at a large trailer manufacturer told me.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #39  
A lot of people have more incentive to sit home and do nothing while collecting than working in a hot, sweaty trailer shop.
That’s what the salesman at a large trailer manufacturer told me.
I'm hearing that a lot... including at the shop I talked to in April, about having a trailer built. He said they were looking at 5 months out, which is also what my Woodmizer is at. I decided to wait until things settle down.

/ I give Up looking for a trailer. #40  
I just got this off market place for $5500. I’m pretty happy with the deal. That’s pretty close to retail last year but now that’s a $8,000 trailer.
IMG_0287.JPG

Last edited: