How would you fall this?

/ How would you fall this?
UPDATE : I aint doing NUTHIN for a bit - took a walk last night and that end of the field is standing water - no way am I hooking a chain on that monster and trying to pull it from the upper reaches sideways... I'd then be posting "can i use a winch to the partially down tree to pull my tractor out of the mud" threads...

It's a mess down there now - also - a top of a dead tree came down where I need to pull from as well - so - FIRST I need to clean that up... after things dry out. I will update this thread - but it won't be for a bit - as more rain expected tomorrow and Sunday.

/ How would you fall this? #102  
I just scanned this entire thread. Is there a particular reason for wanting to cut this instead of letting nature, time and gravity take care of it?

/ How would you fall this? #104  
I just scanned this entire thread. Is there a particular reason for wanting to cut this instead of letting nature, time and gravity take care of it?
Dunno .... vvvvvv
So why is it necessary to do anything? Nip off that one limb and be happy you have a custom sample of Nature's art.

Mow around it as needed.

Dunno why the forum turns this picture on its side. But ain’t no way I can do anything to pull on it for a while. This was a close call for sinking the tractor to its frame that I avoided because of experience!!!

Still raining today too.

As for pics of the base and the berm. I had work boots on. Not waders and there was maybe 4” standing water there.

Maybe I can get to this in July… (sigh)

971C98C1-4ABF-45CA-A8B3-A265846CAEAD.jpeg

Current Status of the tree.

tree.jpeg

The L4760 did good. Even with the R1s tho - the ground is still soft. Not like the other picture in this thread but soft enough that I could pull but never bog the motor. She started digging into the too moist soil well before we would know if she could move the tree.
That said - I don’t think we were moving it off the berm fully even if the ground was perfect traction dryness... That base and rootball still attached to the earth is massive!

So what I did was go at the berm with the loader right next to where the tree was laying on it. Then used a shovel to undercut the berm some where the tree was resting. And then pulled some more.
Tree came down quite a bit. Repeated a few times.
I was then able to get under the thing with the chain saw and cut some of the limbs off that were making ground contact. Then pull some more.
did this 3-4 times. The tree is now more than 1/2 way lower than it was.

Now I think it’s positioned that it’s reasonable to get up there and cut from top down in 3-4 foot sections letting each drop and the trunk settle.
I can tell you I have done the plunge cut technique 1 other time. Much smaller tree. Not a cottonwood- which as I and other have said can be unpredictable as hell. I was NOT looking forward to this tree / this situation to plunge cut at the berm.
Well - cutting a maybe 4” limb off the trunk with very little pressure on the ground (not enough to bind the bar) - it split in the same manner as a barber chair would. So - yeah. Thrilled it’s in a much more manageable position. Even with that said - I’m taking my time and being super careful!

After less than an hour with my new Harbor Freight electric pole saw (Atlas thing really is impressive for the cost!) All the branches with leaves are off and most branches are back to the trunk. The only limitation really is the short 10” bar on a tree this big.
4922710E-99F0-4BD0-9539-459CFB0BF86D.jpeg

After topping out the canopy branches I hooked it onto the tractor again and actually got about 2’ of lateral movement before the ground just let loose and traction was lost.
A lot lower to the ground now.
Next step is to start cutting 4’ sections back from the top and see what happens.

/ How would you fall this? #109  
After less than an hour with my new Harbor Freight electric pole saw (Atlas thing really is impressive for the cost!) All the branches with leaves are off and most branches are back to the trunk. The only limitation really is the short 10” bar on a tree this big.

Did you buy this Atlas 40v pole saw? 40V Cordless 10 in. Pole Saw - Tool Only. Your thoughts on the saw?

/ How would you fall this? #110  
Been following this thread; finally found some pictures of a similar situation I had 5 years ago, maybe not as big as yours. I began by cutting off all the branches, working from small to big, eventually working down the trunk a small section at a time. There was obviously some stored energy there, but it was very anti-climatic, it eventually creaped up (very slowly) after each section i cut off, until the dirt ball settled back on the ground. Even then I was very leery, but by cutting off small chunks at a time, it turned out to be very easy cut it all up and haul it off with the fel. Hated losing my canoe, though.
CD5C5767-21EA-415C-94C3-8EE1760A80CA_1_105_c.jpeg
7814CA96-458B-458C-90DF-FC7DBFC39183_1_105_c.jpeg
F9EFD92F-B737-4B73-98DB-5D6E784A36A6_1_105_c.jpeg
9BC177DF-E7E3-476E-88C9-A9D200723A7D_1_105_c.jpeg
D21E97BE-C12A-427F-B371-0AD481711817_1_105_c.jpeg
CBEC5233-2BA5-47E1-9D8F-3E9CCC61BB40_1_105_c.jpeg