How would you fall this?

/ How would you fall this? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
C647CC63-37BD-46DE-890D-973F940725EF.jpeg

This cottonwood pulled it’s rootball and leaned over. I say leaned because it’s roots and a whole lotta earth are still attached. Then about 12’ from that it’s resting (left side of pic) on a berm built as a range backstop. Then you see the rest of this up in the air still. It is not supported to any degree by the limbs. Most of them are barely making contact with the ground. its held in space like this by the rootball still attached to the earth on the side it hinged down, the weight of the earth attached to the side that came up and where the truck is resting on the berm. It’s a big green tree.
I think my plan is to clear out a spot on the back of the berm where I have lots of room to escape and work free of obstruction. Notch the underside about 8’ from the rootball. And then slowly cut from the top down towards the notch. At some point it’s gonna want to have the heavy top start to bend down to the ground and the weighted root ball snap back upright.
I don’t know that I want to limb the top as I don’t know how much pulling up the root ball is doing vs the weight of the limbs holding it down.
lotta energy stored in this mess. Anyone else have thoughts on approach?

/ How would you fall this? #2  
I would clear an area where you have sufficient escape routes near the berm on the rootball side of the berm. Then I'd make a cut about 1/4 the way through on the bottom of the log. Then a finishing cut from the top down. Decide in advance whether the rootball will stand back up when the rest of the tree weight is relieved. Be in a position where you are safe from the parts moving when it separates. I am not a tree expert so maybe best to wait till an expert replies. I've done trees like that, and worse, and am still here to speak about it, and you are right that there is a lot of stored energy there. If you know your limits and are not comfortable doing it, hire somebody to drop it. Once it's cleared, enjoy the shooting.

/ How would you fall this? #3  
I would just pull with my winch but a long chain also does the trick, till it eventually lays on the ground and can be safely cut it in smaller pieces.

/ How would you fall this?
I would clear an area where you have sufficient escape routes near the berm on the rootball side of the berm. Then I'd make a cut about 1/4 the way through on the bottom of the log. Then a finishing cut from the top down. Decide in advance whether the rootball will stand back up when the rest of the tree weight is relieved. Be in a position where you are safe from the parts moving when it separates. I am not a tree expert so maybe best to wait till an expert replies. I've done trees like that, and worse, and am still here to speak about it, and you are right that there is a lot of stored energy there. If you know your limits and are not comfortable doing it, hire somebody to drop it. Once it's cleared, enjoy the shooting.
That’s pretty much exactly what I was planning. I have done a lot of squirrly trees before. This one is just a real big version and I’m sure when it breaks free it’s gonna be one hell of a show!
I would just pull with my winch but a long chain also does the trick, till it eventually lays on the ground and can be safely cut it in smaller pieces.
There’s so much root still attached to the earth that my L4760 would just get pulled towards the tree. No matter the winch or cable size!

/ How would you fall this? #5  
Make your way to the trunk and cut it from top down, the bottom notch is irrelevant, the stump will most likely sit back on itself. Not very technical as a cut and pretty predictable and safe as long as you stay clear once it go down distance from the trunk to the cut doesn't really matter ether as long as you can safely reach the top of the tree and make a level descent as you are cutting it.

/ How would you fall this? #6  
View attachment 748972
This cottonwood pulled it’s rootball and leaned over. I say leaned because it’s roots and a whole lotta earth are still attached. Then about 12’ from that it’s resting (left side of pic) on a berm built as a range backstop. Then you see the rest of this up in the air still. It is not supported to any degree by the limbs. Most of them are barely making contact with the ground. its held in space like this by the rootball still attached to the earth on the side it hinged down, the weight of the earth attached to the side that came up and where the truck is resting on the berm. It’s a big green tree.
I think my plan is to clear out a spot on the back of the berm where I have lots of room to escape and work free of obstruction. Notch the underside about 8’ from the rootball. And then slowly cut from the top down towards the notch. At some point it’s gonna want to have the heavy top start to bend down to the ground and the weighted root ball snap back upright.
I don’t know that I want to limb the top as I don’t know how much pulling up the root ball is doing vs the weight of the limbs holding it down.
How long has it been leaning this way? Do you have access to an excavator? What about a pole saw to get at some of the roots?

/ How would you fall this? #7  
View attachment 748972
Anfo, Det Cord, Black powder.

/ How would you fall this? #9  

I wouldn't even mess with that tree. It's just too dangerous. This is where I'd pay someone with either an excavator or big equipment willing to take the risk.

/ How would you fall this? #10  
I'm retired, I'd take my time.
First of all - did you trim everything on the upside? Or did it grow that way.
I'd start at the top with chainsaw and pole saw. Cut a bunch away, haul it off, repeat. Keeping a clear path in case it moves. Trimming the branches back to clear 5' or so of stem at a time, then cutting off that part. And might put a good stout rope "down trunk" so if it stands up it would help cutting down more pieces.

If it "stands up" during the process I could easily get out of the way, then cut it at the base and have a rope to assist.

Take lots of picture or videos please.