How would you fall this?

/ How would you fall this? #41  
The guy says the top is 50' in the air. Ummmmm.......
I don't see where that was said.
I still think cutting at the base is the most dangerous. Even with clear escape route, too much uncontrolled happening at the same time. Those limbs could roll the log on you before you have a chance to move.

David

/ How would you fall this? #42  
I don't see where that was said.
I still think cutting at the base is the most dangerous. Even with clear escape route, too much uncontrolled happening at the same time. Those limbs could roll the log on you before you have a chance to move.

David
The top end is a good 50’ up in the air.

/ How would you fall this? #43  
Agree with everyone about not judging this from a photo. Just like the pictures of steep land that does not look steep unless you can actually see it in person. You need someone in your area who knows what they are doing with trees if you are unsure.

I know of professionals who have died fooling with trees. Just be safe about it and again if unsure get in touch with someone who knows.

/ How would you fall this? #44  
Hmmm, sounded like you said search remote tree felling on YT. Maybe I read it wrong.

Either way, the only thing more dangerous than a saw running in your hands is a saw running not in your hands. Let alone the damage that might happen to the equipment/saw if something doesn’t go according to plan and now your stuck with a damaged tree, damaged saw, and potentially no way to safely approach because you don’t know what happened with the tree. Seems like a really bad idea.

Thank you for explaining the risk of making things much worse if it doesn't go right.

/ How would you fall this? #46  
Well - if your Cottonwoods are like those around here - it will rot off in a few years. If you are in no hurry - let it rot, fall to the ground - then take care of it.

I have only Ponderosa pines here. I've had a HUGE one tip over like that. I cleared a spot right at the base of the trunk. Made a chainsaw cut - at the base - about 1/4 way thru the trunk. Backed off and waited a couple day. Yes - the cut had widened slightly. I cut again - to make the initial cut deeper. Again - waited a couple day. Cut was widening nicely.

I just left it alone and in a couple weeks the top was tight on the ground. I cut the initial cut even deeper but NOT completely thru. I started chunking it up - from the top down to the base. Worked fine - little to no excitement.

/ How would you fall this? #47  
My photo analysis was way off.
rootball.jpg

The top did not look 50' high and looked to me like I could drive near the end and whittle it down with my pole saw.
/edit - but based on counting pixels that would mean the log just over the "path" is about 7' in diameter.

Last edited:
   / How would you fall this? #48  
2 comments. 1) DON'T cut from the top back. This unloads the root ball and it can catch you by surprise if it moves suddenly. Locally a farmer was cutting up a big old macrocapa tree (blow down) from the top when it dropped back into the root ball hole and threw him. His injuries were fatal. The coroner calculated the butt/rootball weighed 5 ton.

2) Hire a professional to cut the tree, you can finish the job once it is on the ground. Risk minimised.
I'm sorry but that's like saying you know someone who choked on a hotdog and died. Yes it happens but you're reaching for an excuse to have a nanny. There are a lot of things that you're leaving out of the story like where was his first cut? If he didn't cut from the top down obviously all the weight released at his first cut. Cutting from the top down MAY release the tension gradually and the ball stands up slowly, not at all, or still flops over quickly. There are a ton of variables but the risks can all be mitigated or if needed professionals can be called in.

/ How would you fall this? #49  
Gotta see how it’s laying on the berm and what kind of clearance that you can make. Then make a cut location and method.

Probably cut near the base where the tree trunk is closest to the ground. Might consider cutting out wedges from the topside of the trunk to avoid pinching the blade.

Biggest thing is proper access and egress to the cut location And bar length.

/ How would you fall this? #50  
View attachment 748972
This cottonwood pulled it’s rootball and leaned over. I say leaned because it’s roots and a whole lotta earth are still attached. Then about 12’ from that it’s resting (left side of pic) on a berm built as a range backstop. Then you see the rest of this up in the air still. It is not supported to any degree by the limbs. Most of them are barely making contact with the ground. its held in space like this by the rootball still attached to the earth on the side it hinged down, the weight of the earth attached to the side that came up and where the truck is resting on the berm. It’s a big green tree.
I think my plan is to clear out a spot on the back of the berm where I have lots of room to escape and work free of obstruction. Notch the underside about 8’ from the rootball. And then slowly cut from the top down towards the notch. At some point it’s gonna want to have the heavy top start to bend down to the ground and the weighted root ball snap back upright.
I don’t know that I want to limb the top as I don’t know how much pulling up the root ball is doing vs the weight of the limbs holding it down.
lotta energy stored in this mess. Anyone else have thoughts on approach?
Good plan.