3-Point Hitch How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating?

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
Has anyone made a bracket to keep the trailer hitch (that piece with all the holes that fits across the quick hitch) from rotating? I want to use it to pull boat trailers and thought some of you may have already made a quick solution to this problem.
Thanks

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #2  
Has anyone made a bracket to keep the trailer hitch (that piece with all the holes that fits across the quick hitch) from rotating? I want to use it to pull boat trailers and thought some of you may have already made a quick solution to this problem.
Thanks

Lots of information about this topic in a search of TBN. Refer to it as a "drawbar" or "draw bar" in the search.

Many different solutions but the most common is a simple bracket.

DRAWBAR LOCK FOR CATEGORY 1 TRACTORS - Agri Supply

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #3  
You'll want something like this:

Flexpoint Adapter Turns Your 3-Point Hitch into Versatile 2in. Receiver, Model# FPHS-1 | 3-Point Hitch Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment

This is just an example. The 3 point top link attaches to the riser to keep the thing from spinning. Other sources may or may not have something better, and if you can do a little welding and drilling, etc., you could rig up your own. Keep in mind most tractor 3 point systems can apply lifting force but not down force, so there is nothing to keep the front of the trailer from lifting if the load is too heavy at the back or you go over a bump the wrong way. You'd need a chain or something the secure the 3 pt from lifting.

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #4  
I just dropped a bolt thru the top link into one of the holes in the bar you are referring to, which caused it to quit twisting. However, that immediately limits you from raising and lowering the 3 point hitch. Just transporting a trailer is easier, but hooking up becomes a problem because you have to use the crank on the front of the trailer (yuck!)
David from jax

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #5  
I welded a little dimple on one of my drawbar arms and used a shackle to keep it from rotating. The dimple keeps the shackle from turning off the drawbar. Cheap and simple and you can use the shackle for other things, too.

Attachments

• Drawbar  Lock 09.jpg
    Drawbar Lock 09.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 13,090
  • Drawbar Lock003.jpg
    Drawbar Lock003.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 10,168
   / How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #6  
I don't think the lock like gwdixon recommended will work if you are using the Pat's quick hitch system, at least I could not figure out how to make it work.

I considered buying the adapter from Northern tools in this link, and probably would have if I could have found it locally and avoided the shipping. But it would have required buying another receiver or using the one from the truck which would have resulted in it always being in the wrong place.

EMP Tractor Draw Bar Stabilizer for Category 1 Tractors, Model# 7350-1 | 3-Point Drawbars + Stabilizers | Northern Tool + Equipment

Ultimately, I bought a handi-hitch which is what I wanted to begin with but didn't want to order it. I did end up finding it available at a dealer on a road trip I took, so avoided the shipping. It is decent quality, came with both size balls plus the clevis hitch, so is a pretty good value.

HANDI HITCH WITH CLEVIS AND BALLS - Agri Supply

Obviously either could be fabricated if you have the tools and ability.

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #7  
Here is a more convenient method. Bought mine at Fargo Northern Tool.

EMP Tractor Draw Bar Stabilizer for Category 1 Tractors, Model# 7350-1
by Northern Tool & Equipment
4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews) | Like (0)

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #8  
You'll want something like this:

Flexpoint Adapter Turns Your 3-Point Hitch into Versatile 2in. Receiver, Model# FPHS-1 | 3-Point Hitch Adapters | Northern Tool + Equipment

This is just an example. The 3 point top link attaches to the riser to keep the thing from spinning. Other sources may or may not have something better, and if you can do a little welding and drilling, etc., you could rig up your own. Keep in mind most tractor 3 point systems can apply lifting force but not down force, so there is nothing to keep the front of the trailer from lifting if the load is too heavy at the back or you go over a bump the wrong way. You'd need a chain or something the secure the 3 pt from lifting.

I'll second this product. The advertised price seems a little high since I got mine from the Deere dealer for $50 less than that price. Great product. I use this more than any other impliment I have.

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #9  
Thanks

"that piece with all the holes" - I understand that to be the common 3pt. drawbar.

"that fits across the quick hitch" - What type do you have? Like Pat's, I-Match, etc.?

/ How do I keep the trailer hitch from rotating? #10  
I took a 24" piece of 2" box tube and capped both ends. Welded a 3/4" bolt on one end to bolt though the drawbar and used a 2-5/16" ball on the other end. With a couple of flat pieces welded at the top to connect the toplink. Instant 3pt trailer mover. In my case I need to move my GN trailers but you could attach trailer balls on the drawbar or make it as fancy as you need.

Good luck.