How difficult to replace crank bearing...???

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...???
The tractor is local but I haven't heard back from the seller. I also wonder how the "bad crank bearing" was diagnosed.

I've got a well used YM 2000 and I would love to upgrade to a 3 cylinder YM2500. I don't know if I'm willing to gamble on this one even though it looks great in the pics.

td

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...??? #12  
<snip>
Is this a DIY type job for someone with basic mechanical skills..??

This would be a great parts tractor for some one with a 2500 but I'm not sure if it's something I'm capable of repairing.

td
Almost as important is your tool set.

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...??? #13  
The tractor is local but I haven't heard back from the seller. I also wonder how the "bad crank bearing" was diagnosed.

I've got a well used YM 2000 and I would love to upgrade to a 3 cylinder YM2500. I don't know if I'm willing to gamble on this one even though it looks great in the pics.

td

Uh, there are 3 crankshaft, (main), bearings and this guy diagnosed 1 as being bad? Also, not so sure a YM 2500 is much, if any, of an upgrade over a YM 2000.

Spoke with the seller today and he said it ran low on oil.

Said he pulled the oil pan and the bearings were toast.

He came down to $700.00 without haggling.

td

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...??? #16  
Offer $400 & stop at $500. I would think that $500 is worth a gamble.

I think that a head with valves could bring $600.

Be willing to take a loss if you can't repair it & you'll be ok. If you don't think you can do the work & spend the money necessary to fix it, you should pass.

A good deal is not always a good deal.

Said he had a price of $1300.00 from a local shop to rebuild the motor.

Seems like a lowball price since the engine will need to be gone through from top to bottom if was ran low on oil.

td

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...??? #18  

Seems like a lowball price since the engine will need to be gone through from top to bottom if was ran low on oil.

td

$1300 won't buy the parts for a proper rebuild, I'll bet.

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...??? #19  

td
I rebuilt a John Deere 850 (Yanmar 3T80J) & that's less than what it cost me in parts.

/ How difficult to replace crank bearing...??? #20  
Run away.

If it ran out of oil it had other problems to consume the oil.

Plus since he didn't notice the oil level, it indicates extreme neglect that probably is evidenced in other components too.

Somebody will make some money parting this out but that's more headache than its worth.