Household Septic System

/ Household Septic System #141  
Be careful about running a clean out snake into a septic tank, you will knock the "T" off of the affluent entry pipe into the tank.

It would be a pretty crappy glue job if you could knock a pvc T off with a tap from a snake.:rolleyes:

/ Household Septic System #142  
It would be a pretty crappy glue job if you could knock a pvc T off with a tap from a snake.:rolleyes:

Or they just left the T off like on mine. I thought mine fell off (never had to use a snake) but when it was pumped out there was none to be found. It has been working good for 15 years without one.

/ Household Septic System #143  
Or they just left the T off like on mine. I thought mine fell off (never had to use a snake) but when it was pumped out there was none to be found. It has been working good for 15 years without one.

If there is a cut off wall in the top half of the tank near the inlet end there is no need of a T. The flow desired is into the tank down and under the cutoff wall and below the grease/scum layer then eventually back down under the outlet end cut off wall and up and out to the leech field. What your trying to avoid is new water coming in running straight across the top of the grease layer and out into the leach field before the anaerobic bacteria have had time to digest the solids.

/ Household Septic System #144  
That's something I never considered. ...

Me neither until the septic tank guy told me about it. Our septic tanks are buried but our dry well isn't. I'm getting it cleaned out this year and will bury it this time.

You know, kids see a neat round circle in the yard and they jump on it! What kid wouldn't? I did plenty of times as a kid. I'm sure many of you did to. So, just something to think about. ;)

/ Household Septic System #145  
Buy a descent riser and lid as well as a safety screen and you'll always have easy safe access to your tank for pumping.

/ Household Septic System
5'hx 4'w'10'L plus eight inches each for 4"thick walls and floors.

View attachment Unearthed.pdf

Here's a sketch of what I have found. There is one corner uncovered as noted. So, any ideas on where to dig for the lid? Guessing it would be on the centerline of the 4' width, but wondering how far in from the 4' edge.

/ Household Septic System #147  
View attachment 419176

Here's a sketch of what I have found. There is one corner uncovered as noted. So, any ideas on where to dig for the lid? Guessing it would be on the centerline of the 4' width, but wondering how far in from the 4' edge.

My tank has it 's big lid in the exact center. Try there first.

/ Household Septic System #148  
Mine was dead center, also the new riser lid was green. I still put a stone over it I didnt want to cut it with the lawnmower.

/ Household Septic System #149  
Mine has three lids. 1000 gal tank. Two about 18" dia at the inlet and outlet, plus a smaller (10" or so) in the outlet side. Both of the larger ones are on the tank centerline about 6" in from the outside edge of the tank. I have no idea why the small one is there.

Septic Tank 2 100910 (1024x768).jpg

- Jay

/ Household Septic System #150  
depends on the tank, but my understanding is for gravity flow systems, two chambers, two lids. For systems that pump to the leach field, three chambers, 3 lids. Yours sounds like a gravity flow, so two lids. I would figure in the middle of each half of the tank...