House Build 2023

/ House Build 2023
A big huge beam just to hide it inside the roof assembly!?!? That is killing me, lol.

That is a crazy expensive attic, haha.

Congrats on the progress!
Here is a close up... soon to be hidden forever.

20230918_185647.jpg

/ House Build 2023
I'll get you a picture of that area. The attic in this thing is probably bigger than my first house. My wife and I laugh about this process, like a oh no we messed up but it's too late to change it now, kind of laugh. Looking at the plans it really felt like we were building a moderately sized house. Then the footers were dug and poured, tiny house... Then the rafters for the great room started going up.... 😨 Excessive!

/ House Build 2023 #154  
Will the insulation go in the lower rafters, or upper? IE will that be a conditioned space, or cold and vented?

/ House Build 2023 #156  
Speaking of wiring: I don't like outside lights right beside a door. At night they are mostly a bug magnet and they work just as well off to one side. If you do Christmas lights an under eve outlet and an inside switch make that a lot simpler.

/ House Build 2023 #159  
I'm not a fan of the AC unit being in the attic because it's usually hard to get to it. The other issue is getting to it without clearing a trail through the insulation every time you change the filters.

I have 6 large dogs, and I change my filter twice a month in Summer when it's dusty out, and once a month the rest of the year. I also add bleach to my drain every time I change my filter. I had them double my filter to 2 inches thick because of the dog hair that ends up in there and the hair would clog up the filter and bend it.

I've built bridges for clients to get to their AC units when they decided to have their Insulation redone. Most of my clients are too old to get into their attics to change their filters, so it doesn't get done, or they pay somebody to do it.

Be sure to have a walkway, or bridge, to get to the AC Unit so you can do basic maintenance and not ruin your insulation.

/ House Build 2023
Bridge is going to be added for both units. Both units have 2 returns with filters accessable from living area. Both have extra large drip trays with fluid sensing shut offs in addition to the unit's standard trays. I was not a huge fan of them being in the attic either but usable space in the living area won out.