Honda Pioneer 500

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #1  

gatorguy7

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD, Kubota, Ford
I thought I would post up a review of the Honda Pioneer 500. I have the 2015 model and I don't believe much has changed with the 2016 models that are available now. To buy the pioneer, I traded in my trusty 2006 Honda Rancher 2x4 foot shift fourwheeler. It was a great machine but I thought I could really benefit from the "utility" of a side by side.

The P500 has fit my needs perfectly. I was looking for something that I could use as a tool on the ranch and would still be fun to ride. I found myself wanting something with a bed that I could carry tools, patch/build fence, feed cattle, spray pastures and fence lines amongst other chores. We have a Kubota 1100 RTV on the ranch and while it is a workhorse, it is just plain boring to drive and I don't like the transmission (not to mention it is a boat anchor going through Florida mud!).

The Pioneer 500 comes with the running gear out of a Honda Foreman so the engine and transmission are tried and true. There is a five speed semi-automatic transmission that is controlled by paddle shifters mounted to the steering column. The shifts are smooth, crisp and fast. The ECU is programmed to ****** the throttle automatically as you shift so there is no need to release the skinny peddle while shifting.

The top speed of the P500 is about 42 mph compared to ~55 in the Foreman so the P500 is geared low for more torque. I recently launched a pair of jet skis and was able to pull them out on a soft Florida lake shore without spinning. The suspension is much smoother than my solid axle four wheeler but it is in no way a trophy truck.

I have added the Honda OEM hardtop roof, a big sky gun rack, Strong Made front bumper, 20" Super Bright LEDs light bar, custom aluminum bed with Kolpin tool box (made for Yamaha Rhino) and an 8" LED light bar facing rearward. The next thing to do is to add some taller tires such as the Interco Interforce tires in 27.5 (typical R1 design).

In its stock form, the P500 comes with an atv style rack but I really wanted a bed. I went to a local welder with some plans. I decided on 1" square aluminum sides with 1/8" aluminum sheet as the floor. Overall, the bed weighs about 30 lbs so it doesn't impact the carrying capacity of the machine (officially 450 lbs but it can handle more than that easily).

If anyone would like more specifics I would be happy to share.

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #2  
Excellent bed, the Honda accessory bed is inadequate and yours solves all of the problems I would have with it. I don't care about dumping, I have a Pioneer 700-2 and I never dump.

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #3  
I really like the way yours is set up! The reason I didn't give the Pioneer 500 a serious look is lack of a bed but if it had come with one like yours it would have really made me consider it more. Do you find the engine to be loud and does a lot of dust get into the cab area? My Ranger will cover you in dust even with the windshield folded down if it's really dusty.

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #4  
I have the Pioneer 700M2 I purchased in Nov 13 and have put 700 miles on it around my 6 acre farm. It's a work horse used for everything around here plus snow plowing. That 700 miles would have been miles walked and since I can't walk that much anymore I'm glad to have it. The dump bed has been handy for rocks picked up out of the garden and carrying my tools. Honda's reliability and engine mounts sold me, I like that I don't have the vibration from the engine rattling my old bones as I move about doing chores.
The P500 has the paddle shift which I like and also comes with the reliability of owning a Honda I am sure you will enjoy it for work and pleasure just as I do the 700

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #5  
I have a Big Red and hopefully they go to the 5 speed transmission too. I like the 3 speed automatic but I would rather have the extra gears and the ability to shift when I want.

/ Honda Pioneer 500
Overall, I feel like the engine is pretty quiet. You can get up to speed, shift early and cruise around 30 mph and easily have a conversation. That's the benefit of gears as opposed to a belt drive system.

I don't notice any problem with dust. Then again, Florida is pretty low with dust in general.

Its funny you all like the bed. I try to share my interpretation of the p500 as I too didn't give the pioneer a second thought until I saw one with a custom bed.

Last edited:
   / Honda Pioneer 500 #7  
I have a Big Red and hopefully they go to the 5 speed transmission too. I like the 3 speed automatic but I would rather have the extra gears and the ability to shift when I want.

The 3 speed auto is a no go for me up in the steep mountain country. Just way to high of a first gear. On a good note Honda is coming out with a 6 speed manual/auto with high and low range which gives it a total of 12 gears. Saying goodbye to my Honda 700 4 and making room for the new Honda SXS.

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #8  
Thanks for this thread GatorGuy7! It's exactly the info I was looking for. I was just given a new Pioneer 500 to me by my son for Christmas. The pluses you mention are the same things that swayed me to go Honda, i.e. shaft drive, paddle shift, electronic ignition, fuel injected, Warn winch, etc.

But - the drawback that I also have is the rack on back instead of a box/bed. And, there was no way I was going to spend $400 for a plastic thing called a rear tray from "H". I did buy the other accessories you listed except the light bar, which I'll install myself later.

I've started building a rear box/tray with plywood coated with horse stall mat covering. My toolbox is a 48 gallon Rubbermaid box that I can sit on top of the tray. I'll post pictures when I finish, which will be later this week hopefully. Even so, I'd be most interested in getting more specifics on your fine custom made box. It's never to late to switch to something nicer than I've built.

One nice thing about building my own box is the ease of removing the entire rear body assembly for accurate measurements and fitment. Eight easy to get to bolts and off it comes :) Honda definitely has their act together - for the most part.

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #9  
Thanks for this thread GatorGuy7! It's exactly the info I was looking for. I was just given a new Pioneer 500 to me by my son for Christmas. The pluses you mention are the same things that swayed me to go Honda, i.e. shaft drive, paddle shift, electronic ignition, fuel injected, Warn winch, etc.

But - the drawback that I also have is the rack on back instead of a box/bed. And, there was no way I was going to spend $400 for a plastic thing called a rear tray from "H". I did buy the other accessories you listed except the light bar, which I'll install myself later.

I've started building a rear box/tray with plywood coated with horse stall mat covering. My toolbox is a 48 gallon Rubbermaid box that I can sit on top of the tray. I'll post pictures when I finish, which will be later this week hopefully. Even so, I'd be most interested in getting more specifics on your fine custom made box. It's never to late to switch to something nicer than I've built.

One nice thing about building my own box is the ease of removing the entire rear body assembly for accurate measurements and fitment. Eight easy to get to bolts and off it comes :) Honda definitely has their act together - for the most part.

/ Honda Pioneer 500 #10  
I watched a Mythbuster's episode where they tested spray on pickup bed liner. After seeing just how tough it is I think I would coat what ever I made in it. It might not be smooth enough for dirt to easily slide out if you make the box dump.