New Pioneer 520 Arrived

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived
I felt the same after getting my first SxS years ago and therefore have had one ever since. I use it almost every day for any variety of tasks. And for just riding trails or down the road to visit neighbor sometimes it's nice being able to take someone along, beside you.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #62  
Interesting behavior.

I have 10 hours and 65 miles on the 520. The shifting has really smoothed out and the little machine is running great.
What’s strange is within the first 10 or so miles, accurate or not, the 520 could reach an indicated 42 MPH on the speedometer. However, now, it’ll only reach 38-39 and there’s a hard rpm/speed limiter.

It’s interesting that the machine didn’t have the limiter and wasn’t doing that originally?

Anyway, it’s just my bizarre observation of the day.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #63  
Congrats on the machine. Looks great.
I think the 520 with the dump bed is a winner.

You might check out HondaSXS to see what is going on with the limiter. Some knowledgeable folks there. I know my 700 was scheduled for a valve check at 100 miles and it was WAY off.
Beware of others who will lead into buying aftermarket stuff. It can be addictive.
Enjoy.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #64  
^^^^
Thank you!

I’m taking the 520 in to the dealer for it’s first service at the end of the month. I’ll definitely make them aware of the odd initial behavior although everything seems perfect now.

Mike

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #65  
I’m closing in on 100 miles…
38A0E33C-978E-4CDC-8952-481D89087FA0.jpeg

2836783C-987D-4D0F-80C1-9017BDB0AEAF.jpeg

2D0A2153-2304-4684-BCC3-9F20FE8BDD3B.jpeg

I’m not sure how many of you use your SxS’s for recreational purposes but, my passenger and I did a 30 mile round trip through the forest to get some miles on the 520. Did some trash cleanup too.

The 520 handled all the terrain and hills fantastically. Very impressed with the machine. The size is perfect for my needs.

Mike

Nice country, Mike. I occasionally use mine for litter pick up along the road as well.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #67  
At least with my Can-am, the more miles I have on it the better everything seems to work. Smoother shifting, yes, and it even seems quieter now with 1600 miles on the odometer than it did when new.

It is wonderful, after spending a few hours doing chores with it around the homestead, to go for a little recreational ride into the mountains behind my house just to cool off. Photo taken about 10 miles (but only about 2 miles as the crow flies) from my house:
P1008273ertbn5-9-22.jpg

As far as windshields, one of the things I really like about the Can-am is that the windshield can be fully closed, or cracked open about 6" to allow some air, or fully opened for good ventilation on a hot day.
P1008285ertbn5-9-22.jpg

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #68  
Does the Honda 520 have engine braking?
How about differential lock?

I'm looking at various smaller SxS options. Mostly looking for reliability. Strong preference for engine braking and diff lock (though I could probably get by without the diff lock). The 520 is in the size range I'm considering. but I don't see some of those features mentioned.

I'd consider going to the 700 if I had to to get those features, but the size if larger than I really need. (Though the extra bed and towing capacity would be nice.)

Yes very effective engine braking. (Un?)fortunately the 520 does not even have a differential so the rear is always "locked", like most ATV's. This gives it great traction but makes it harder to steer and can skid up the terrain that it does sharp turns on. The front is an open differential.
My preference would be for Honda market two versions of the 520: one like what we have now only with a conventional differential for the rear that can be locked. The other, say a P520 Extreme, as above plus with a locking front diff and a step up in tire size.

My other SxS has a locking rear diff and in all honesty it's left unlocked 80% of the time, when more traction is needed I first engage 4wd which is usually enough. Even though it's larger and heavier than my P520, it is easier on the yard, gravel driveway, and trails.
I think a lot of potential buyers that are attracted the 520's small size and dump bed as a little transporter to run errands, go to the mailbox, working in the yard, etc., end up going with other choices such as the small Mule, golf carts, etc. for easier steering and to not skid up the turf so much.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #70  
No front dif lock although the rear on my five hundred is locked full time. Engine braking on my 500 is accomplished by down shifting in manual paddle shift mode. I was considering upgrading my 500 to a 520 but the lack of front dif lock and no power steering made me think twice. The 700 has both and I believe it has the trans option of full auto or manual with paddle shifters. I looked at the 700 extensively before I settled for a leftover model yr wolverine X4. Also the 700 is a little over 60" wide the 500 and 520 is around 50" wide both will fit on the bed of a full size truck, and never any major problems except a cv boot or two with my 500 and it's been worked pretty hard imo.