Help, adding new tractor to operation

/ Help, adding new tractor to operation #1  

DonE0929

Tractor
Mahindra 1526 tlb, Satoh Beaver S370D
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

I operate a small Tractor business. My bread and butter is repairing washed out Gravel driveways. I focus on homeowner sized jobs and am the only game in town using a lighter tractor. There are plenty of ground destroying skid steers, but they focus on larger projects which is fine with me.

My current tractor is a mahindra 1526 TLB and it has been a good machine and has paid for itself several times over.

I am busy enough that I am going to put my son (young adult) to work on a second machine. I went back to my dealer and looked at the newer 1626 and it is the same Mitsubishi that my 1526 is other than a few ergonomic changes.... so that is a good option, but I have considered a 35hp machine. I really only want more PTO power as I don't want more physical size or weight. The 1635 or 1640 have some issues that I do not like at all and have all but eliminated those options.

I have a very good and a not so good Kubota dealer close by, but am not familiar with the newer B series or the L in the 35hp range. There is a Kioti dealer but they have zero tractors on the lot. I won't buy a JD, but NH is available from the not so good Kubota dealer.

There won't be a backhoe on the new (not considering used) machine.

I do use my tractor on my own land, but it's primary use will be for business.

Some things the tractor must do, lift a full bucket of Gravel or dirt without issue, pull a heavy box blade loaded with dirt or gravel, HST, third function and rear hydraulics as factory options, spin a 10kw pto generator easily, 4x4.

Opinions or comments please.

/ Help, adding new tractor to operation #3  
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

I operate a small Tractor business. My bread and butter is repairing washed out Gravel driveways. I focus on homeowner sized jobs and am the only game in town using a lighter tractor. There are plenty of ground destroying skid steers, but they focus on larger projects which is fine with me.

My current tractor is a mahindra 1526 TLB and it has been a good machine and has paid for itself several times over.

I am busy enough that I am going to put my son (young adult) to work on a second machine. I went back to my dealer and looked at the newer 1626 and it is the same Mitsubishi that my 1526 is other than a few ergonomic changes.... so that is a good option, but I have considered a 35hp machine. I really only want more PTO power as I don't want more physical size or weight. The 1635 or 1640 have some issues that I do not like at all and have all but eliminated those options.

I have a very good and a not so good Kubota dealer close by, but am not familiar with the newer B series or the L in the 35hp range. There is a Kioti dealer but they have zero tractors on the lot. I won't buy a JD, but NH is available from the not so good Kubota dealer.

There won't be a backhoe on the new (not considering used) machine.

I do use my tractor on my own land, but it's primary use will be for business.

Some things the tractor must do, lift a full bucket of Gravel or dirt without issue, pull a heavy box blade loaded with dirt or gravel, HST, third function and rear hydraulics as factory options, spin a 10kw pto generator easily, 4x4.

Opinions or comments please.

If you have a Branson dealer nearby, the 4815 gets you 48hp at a similar weight/dimensions. Also it has a pretty strong loader for its size.

/ Help, adding new tractor to operation #4  
My current tractor is a Mahindra 1526 TLB. It has been a good machine and paid for itself several times over. I looked at the newer 1626 and it is the same Mitsubishi as my 1526 with a few ergonomic changes.

These Mahindra models are 2,400 pounds bare tractor weight with 25-horsepower.

The equivalent Kubota models are the L2501/L3301/L3901.
2,700 pounds bare tractor weight with 25/33/39 horsepower.

In a heavier, deluxe outfitted tractor there is the Kubota 'Grand L' L3560.
3,500 pounds bare tractor weight with 37 horsepower. For commercial operation the L3560 would be my choice. The HST/PLUS transmission substantially improves tractor efficiency where an HST transmission is the appropriate transmission choice.

"Kubota Grand Ls are full featured tractor models. The HST+ transmission is the best that's currently being made for compact tractors. Telescoping lower links and sway bars. Worth a lot when hooking up, and will reduce your swear word vocabulary. Air-ride seat, more ergonomic loader control stick location at the operator position. Not that the standard L's are bad, just the Grand L's are more refined."

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Attachments

• DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 347
  • fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_192.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 519
  • fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1a7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 215
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,003

Last edited:
   / Help, adding new tractor to operation #5  

/ Help, adding new tractor to operation #6  
You are familiar with the requirements of your business. That said you will know what you need. That means you just have to start looking/shopping/bargaining for your next tractor. Most of us can’t help in that department.

/ Help, adding new tractor to operation
I don't think I have even seen a grand L. I have done a walk around of the regular L. Regardless it is getting a little heavy for my application. I go through a lot of back yards and not leaving ruts or destroyed lawns is a big selling point.

I have often considered a smaller tractor because I have had to turn down jobs that my machine was a little to wide to fit into the job site. I have a buddy that has an older Kubota B. It's 30hp, but a smaller framed machine. The FEL on it is the only problem with it. It has a smaller bucket and still can not lift it full of Gravel. It's HST is really smooth compared to mine and it doesn't whine much. I don't like the 3pt controls on it at all... that would be the deal killer for sure, but the newer ones may have position control.

I don't have a Branson, bobcat or a Yanmar dealer (tractor supply sells yanmar, but no service) I can go see just about any brand within a two hour haul, but that is just to far if I have service needs. My mahindra has never been back to the dealer, but that could easily be good luck.

/ Help, adding new tractor to operation #8  
My buddy has an older Kubota B. It's 30hp, but a smaller framed machine.

The heaviest Kubota Bs are the recently renamed LX2610 and LX3310.

LX2610 SU = 1,830 pounds bare weight with 24.8 horsepower.

LX3310 = 2,293 pounds bare weight with 30.8 horsepower.

Loader lift = 1,067 pounds AT PIN. (769 pounds at 19.7" FORWARD.)

53.7" minimum width.

Bulbous R14 tires are a factory option = 14 - 17.5

In the real world the performance of Kubota LX models will be barely distinguishable from your existing Mahindra. A second Mahindra would have advantages in operation and implement interchangeability.

Last edited:
   / Help, adding new tractor to operation #9  
I have a buddy that has an older Kubota B. It's 30hp, but a smaller framed machine. The FEL is a problem. It has a smaller bucket but cannot lift it full of Gravel.

• Is the problem with FEL inability to lift gravel?
  • Or is the problem rear wheel rise due to insufficient Three Point Hitch counterbalance?

Call your buddy and inform us of the tractor model and FEL model.

Last edited:
   / Help, adding new tractor to operation
No the loader is just not strong enough. there was plenty of counter weight. It's still a nice little tractor and does what he needs. If I was just doing stuff around the property taking two half loads of Gravel and running it where it needs to go would not matter, but I load my bucket slap full and run it sometimes 100 times a day up and down a long driveway that a dump truck can't get into.
This requirement of a very strong loader is specific for me because of my use. I have pulled a 2200lb pallet out of a semi trailer with my forks with the mahindra... I was certain it would never lift it at that height, but it did. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but it lifted, curled, backed up and eased it to the ground. I put the forks in a little deeper and scooped it up and drove up a steep driveway with my backhoe on for counter.
I don't need that kind of lifting power, but I have to move full buckets of standard stuff like Gravel and moist dirt every day all day.