Grasshopper ZTR flail mower

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #31  
Anyone ever purchase one of these? I know there is a lot of discussion about flail mowers on this site but I have not read the threads. I just don't know anything about them. I just purchased a 4 foot frontier cutter for my BX, but if I can finish mow my fertilized landscaped lawn and then drive across the road and mow a field with the same cutter, that would be sweet....not to mention my field edges and trails through the woods all in a very compact, handy powerful 928D grasshopper mower that I own....someone set me straight here!

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower
Anyone ever purchase one of these? I know there is a lot of discussion about flail mowers on this site but I have not read the threads. I just don't know anything about them. I just purchased a 4 foot frontier cutter for my BX, but if I can finish mow my fertilized landscaped lawn and then drive across the road and mow a field with the same cutter, that would be sweet....not to mention my field edges and trails through the woods all in a very compact, handy powerful 928D grasshopper mower that I own....someone set me straight here!
Have I? Yes.

Here is where to buy it:
Front Flail Mower for Grasshopper Tractors -- Iowa Farm Equipment

Or here (same deck):

Flail Mower Deck, Grasshopper Front Mowers, 63" Cut: Finish or Rough Cut Mower! | eBay

For an additional $1,000, you can have all the different blade types.

As for mowing the field...

Yes... but as always, it depends on the field. I've seen this unit on a 725D mowing 9ft tall vegetation. It works great. I've also seen it mow a manicured lawn with the best stripe imprint you'll find. You can even mow some fairly gnarly scrub brush and saplings.. so long as the material isn't more than an inch in diameter.

Here's the thing, it CAN do all these with a single set of 'Y' blades. There are specialized blades for each job, which have their own benefits. The stamped 'shovel' or 'paddle' blades provide the best finish cut, but are still capable of cutting overgrown field grasses/weeds. The 'Y' blades are the most versatile, but some fine blade turf grasses will have a slight combed appearance after mowing (especially at very short cut height). The cast blades give a level cut AND the most capable brush cutting, at the expense of efficiency. They will cut material over 2 inches in diameter.

I use the 'Y' blades on my Toro front mount flail, and they handle pretty much everything I can throw at it. The 'Y' blades are also the most efficient, and yield the smallest clippings... just don't go trying to mow 2.5" saplings with them.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #33  
Have I? Yes.

Here is where to buy it:
Front Flail Mower for Grasshopper Tractors -- Iowa Farm Equipment

Or here (same deck):

Flail Mower Deck, Grasshopper Front Mowers, 63" Cut: Finish or Rough Cut Mower! | eBay

For an additional $1,000, you can have all the different blade types.

As for mowing the field...

Yes... but as always, it depends on the field. I've seen this unit on a 725D mowing 9ft tall vegetation. It works great. I've also seen it mow a manicured lawn with the best stripe imprint you'll find. You can even mow some fairly gnarly scrub brush and saplings.. so long as the material isn't more than an inch in diameter.

Here's the thing, it CAN do all these with a single set of 'Y' blades. There are specialized blades for each job, which have their own benefits. The stamped 'shovel' or 'paddle' blades provide the best finish cut, but are still capable of cutting overgrown field grasses/weeds. The 'Y' blades are the most versatile, but some fine blade turf grasses will have a slight combed appearance after mowing (especially at very short cut height). The cast blades give a level cut AND the most capable brush cutting, at the expense of efficiency. They will cut material over 2 inches in diameter.

I use the 'Y' blades on my Toro front mount flail, and they handle pretty much everything I can throw at it. The 'Y' blades are also the most efficient, and yield the smallest clippings... just don't go trying to mow 2.5" saplings with them.

So how do you like it? What is your primary purpose with it? Is it worth owning one for the common man?

1- "How do I like it?"

- I haven't bought the flail deck for my Grasshopper 928 yet. As for the Toro flail... IRREPLACEABLE. My Toro unit is a 25hp diesel front mount mower... so I imagine the added benefit of ZTR mobility will only be better.

2- "primary purpose"

- 26 acres to maintain in southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain hills (this alone, is enough to justify the purchase)

- a rough cut mowing business on the side

3- "Is it worth owning one for the common man?"

- Is there a such thing? ("common man") It all depends. If you regularly mow areas that require more than a finish mower, and want better results than a typical tractor mounted rotary... then yes. If you have areas that you would like mow, but your tractor lacks the mobility... then yes.

In all honesty... the only thing that would keep me from purchasing a flail deck for my Grasshopper, is if I simply didn't need it. If all you are cutting is occasionally tall grass, you're still going to save a lot of headache over a tractor mounted rotary. Even if you're a regular guy, with a typical lawn... NOTHING stripes better than a finish flail.

My wife even loves our flail... because it let me have my weekends back. I can mow the back yard (3.5 acres) about once every three weeks in peak season, and NEVER lose my stripes... leaving only the front 2.5 acres to keep short for the kids to play. Before, I was spending nearly an entire weekend on trying (and failing) to stay ahead of our 26 acres, with 6 acre lawn. Now, I only mow the front lawn every week, and catch up the rest once per month... and our property looks far better than before.

I can't speak for everyone... but for me, there's only one word:

IRREPLACEABLE

Last edited:
   / Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #35  
Thank you. It just looks incredible. I have all kinds of equipment and the love of my life is my Grasshopper. Been running a Grasshopper since 2006. I would love to keep my brushy field edges mowed with it and then jump over the the 4 acres of alfalfa and clip it (deer plot...can't find anyone to harvest) and then put it on the trailer and drive back home and cut my well fertilized tall fescue lawn....If I could do all this I would be a happy camper......now how hard is it to change out the hammers or whatever they are in case I want more options with it? Basically I would like to have a finish mower for my beatiful landscaped lawn that can also bush hog without having to do anything to it.

Are you buying one for your hopper?

Thank you. It just looks incredible. I have all kinds of equipment and the love of my life is my Grasshopper. Been running a Grasshopper since 2006. I would love to keep my brushy field edges mowed with it and then jump over the the 4 acres of alfalfa and clip it (deer plot...can't find anyone to harvest) and then put it on the trailer and drive back home and cut my well fertilized tall fescue lawn....If I could do all this I would be a happy camper......now how hard is it to change out the hammers or whatever they are in case I want more options with it? Basically I would like to have a finish mower for my beatiful landscaped lawn that can also bush hog without having to do anything to it.

Are you buying one for your hopper?
Yes, I'm buying one.

To answer your questions...

1- KNIFE DESIGN/CHOICE:

The 'Y' knives are perfectly capable of both finish and rough cut mowing. Only the most discerning would require the 'shovel' or 'paddle' style knives... which are also capable of rough cut mowing. If you don't want to change knives, you could easily choose either style. I run Y knives on my Toro... but it has 72 pairs of knives for a more even cut (and smaller clippings). The Perruzzo only has 50, which may leave a slightly ridged cut (what some call a "combed finish")... but honestly, I doubt you'll complain. If you require a laser flat finish cut, you could fit the paddle knives. They will be slightly slower in rough cut situations, with a slightly larger clipping size, and require periodic maintenance.

2- MAINTENANCE

Changing/replacing/servicing the knives is fairly straight forward and simple. The knives are held in place by a single bolt and lock nut. A wrench and ratchet is all you should need. A common misconception about flail mowers, is high maintenance. As a property owner who owns one... TRUST ME, my maintenance has been cut down to a twice annual event (aside from greasing the unit). At the beginning of the year, I inspect the knives and sharpen/replace as needed. A small die grinder and a pair of vice grips will eliminate any need to remove the knives for sharpening. With nearly 50% more knives on my unit (144), my wife and I replaced the entire set last year in 3hrs... but it's worth noting the knives had over 12yrs abuse from a municipality, and were reportedly never changed (I'll believe it, as they appeared never to have been even turned).

You will likely never have to replace an entire set at once.

As for post season... simply clean the unit, spray the knives with some sort of corrosion inhibitor, and park it.

Previously, my rotary deck required blade removal and sharpening after every weekend of mowing (6 acre yard, and two auxiliary lots of about an acre and a half).

With Y knives on my flail deck-

-I've received more compliments on our property, mowing half as often

-I've cut maintenance down to 5 minutes of greasing and visual inspection every weekend... instead of an hour of blade sharpening, deck cleaning, etc.

-I no longer have to stop and let the deck clear its clippings... cut mowing time by AT LEAST 30%.

The flail does use a bit more fuel... but it's also more productive. I'll trade a couple dollars in fuel for productivity and time with my family any day.

I'd stick with Y knives, if you plan on doing any significant amount rough cut work. We all know, no matter how much you walk a field, there's always something you'll miss (especially next to a roadway). The paddle flails will cut rough/tall material... but they don't deflect from rocks and other hard obstructions as well as Y knives. For me, that's the whole point. My wallet and watch doesn't cringe every time I run over something harder than a blade of grass. Also, paddle blades will dull faster, requiring a bit more maintenance... still not nearly as fast as rotary blades, but more often than Y knives. Another downside to paddle knives... they only have one cutting edge, where as Y knives have two, are reversible, and typically cost 1/3rd the price.

With 100 inches of blade area (50 pairs of Y knives @ 1 inch cutting area), that's a vast improvement over a three blade rotary with less than 1/4 of that (3 blades with two 4 inch cutting sections is 24 inches). Blades are cheaper (about 75-80 cents for Y knives), they deflect from most obstructions, and they cut tall material in a single pass.

I hate to be so long winded, but I can't say enough about my flail mower.

-less maintenance
-less downtime
-higher productivity
-single pass efficiency in tall material
-better deflection over unseen obstructions
-cheaper blades
-finer clippings
- B E S T S T R I P E S E V E R
-with Y knives, they have cutting edges on both sides... so once you dull one side, simply remove the rotor and flip it around. VOILA! brand new cutting edges all the way across with no sharpening ... effectively doubling the life and and serviceability of your blades with less than half the downtime.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #37  
I can remember as a kid, spending hours and hours screwing around with those knives removing/installing them, working for a farmer who had a flail...

Boy, I HATED that job!! lol

SR

I can remember as a kid, spending hours and hours screwing around with those knives removing/installing them, working for a farmer who had a flail...

Boy, I HATED that job!! lol

SR
Lol... I can relate.

These front mounted finish flails are a friendlier beast.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #39  
Aren't the ones that go on a GH, something like 8 thousand??

I always heard they were priced crazy...

SR