Grasshopper ZTR flail mower

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower
You don't need to convince me that small is beautiful. The deal maker that I see in your detailed reply is that you can drive the ZTR directly into your panel truck. That's a killer bonus for sure. Anytime you can eliminate a trailer you've improved productivity and quality of life. The PowerTrac 422 and 180 are modest in size but I don't know that they'd fit in a panel van. The 180 is only 42" wide but with the front mower attached must be at least 10-11 feet long so better suited for a small trailer. H Class
They're also down 10hp from the Grasshopper's 30, and several hundred pounds heavier.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #22  
They're also down 10hp from the Grasshopper's 30, and several hundred pounds heavier.

No question they are different machines. I've never run a Grasshopper. I don't doubt that for suburban lawn maintenance they are head and shoulders above the PT. The PT however can also do many things that no ZTR can do such as come standard with a FEL, switch from bush hogging to finish cutting in 30 seconds, dig trenches, grapple, plow snow etc etc. And, while I'm sure a Grasshopper is good on slopes, the PTs excel in that area. The real issue is what are the specific tasks that you need to do. It seemed clear from your earlier posts that the Grasshopper will do what you need very efficiently. I love the idea of driving it into the panel truck too. The PT is however used by many landscapers and fits into a middle zone between a ZTR and a CUT. For some folks that would be a real advantage considering the difference between a dedicated mower and a Swiss Army knife articulated tractor. Dedicated tools are almost always better than what you get on a Swiss Army knife or multitool but there is a reason multitools are still very popular.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #23  
I dunno, I would never sit behind a brush mower without a full air conditioned cab, with inlet filters.

I can feel my throat closing up just watching those videos.

No question they are different machines. I've never run a Grasshopper. I don't doubt that for suburban lawn maintenance they are head and shoulders above the PT. The PT however can also do many things that no ZTR can do such as come standard with a FEL, switch from bush hogging to finish cutting in 30 seconds, dig trenches, grapple, plow snow etc etc. And, while I'm sure a Grasshopper is good on slopes, the PTs excel in that area. The real issue is what are the specific tasks that you need to do. It seemed clear from your earlier posts that the Grasshopper will do what you need very efficiently. I love the idea of driving it into the panel truck too. The PT is however used by many landscapers and fits into a middle zone between a ZTR and a CUT. For some folks that would be a real advantage considering the difference between a dedicated mower and a Swiss Army knife articulated tractor. Dedicated tools are almost always better than what you get on a Swiss Army knife or multitool but there is a reason multitools are still very popular.
Agreed.

...as the title of this post is "Grasshopper ZTR flail mower".

For those who need the added functionality of the PT, they're great machines.

For those who need a lightweight, maneuverable, efficient, productive, low maintenance mowing solution that is capable of handling extremely rough growth... this is a great solution.

I'd love to have a PT. As a matter of fact, I hate to miss out on the deal that's currently posted on their used machine list ($9,000 for FEL articulated power unit, plus a couple extras? **** of a deal.).

On a different note, I FINALLY found a flail deck for my Toro 325 today... so I'll likely be going with that solution, as opposed to buying the GH, and save myself $7 the for the power unit and the $5k for the flail mower.

I need a new FEL unit at the house, but the flail will make much more money for less investment. Hopefully I can find another deal on a PT next year, with the money I make from this year's investment. I just can't justify dropping $9k on something that will yield less profits than the flail mower.

Profits first.

More money for toys later ;)

I dunno, I would never sit behind a brush mower without a full air conditioned cab, with inlet filters.

I can feel my throat closing up just watching those videos.
Grasshopper mowers have optional cabs.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #27  
Agreed.

...as the title of this post is "Grasshopper ZTR flail mower".

For those who need the added functionality of the PT, they're great machines.

For those who need a lightweight, maneuverable, efficient, productive, low maintenance mowing solution that is capable of handling extremely rough growth... this is a great solution.

I'd love to have a PT. As a matter of fact, I hate to miss out on the deal that's currently posted on their used machine list ($9,000 for FEL articulated power unit, plus a couple extras? **** of a deal.).

On a different note, I FINALLY found a flail deck for my Toro 325 today... so I'll likely be going with that solution, as opposed to buying the GH, and save myself $7 the for the power unit and the $5k for the flail mower.

I need a new FEL unit at the house, but the flail will make much more money for less investment. Hopefully I can find another deal on a PT next year, with the money I make from this year's investment. I just can't justify dropping $9k on something that will yield less profits than the flail mower.

Profits first.

More money for toys later ;)

Speaking of toys, I'd be delighted to have one of each. A ZTR, a PT (425 most likely) and my 40hp CUT with BH. Add in a bunch of implements and that would be healthy toy bin!:cool2:

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #28  
Grasshoppers are great mowers. My father purchased a 725 gas with a liquid cooled Kubota engine in 1998 and the only thing that ever went wrong was a starter recall. Of course he maintained it well and kept it in an HVAC conditioned garage. It has sat for 3 years because of his health. He passed in November and I just pulled it out to sell it for my mother. It started right up and runs great.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #30  
Yes, thank you. He was a craftsman builder and worked until 85. Sadly, his only hobby in the end was the Grasshopper. It's sad to sell it, but I know it's been a great mower.