Grasshopper ZTR flail mower

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #11  
Plus only one engine to maintain. I love my grasshopper. If the flail was $2500-$3000 I'd be all over it.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower
Plus only one engine to maintain. I love my grasshopper. If the flail was $2500-$3000 I'd be all over it.
Agreed.

To each their own, but I've always preferred mowing with front mount equipment... and preferably without the engine and hood in the way.

I already have a utility tractor... but after mowing with the front mount Toro I bought last year, there's no comparison. Not having to look over my shoulder to trim or other places that require eyes-on mowing, was a real neck saver. I can only imagine the added 20% horsepower of the GH 930, combined with the ZTR mobility and lower CG.

I might miss the 4wd, but most everyone I've talked to says front mount Grasshopers are hill climbing beasts with the right tires.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #13  
Agreed.

To each their own, but I've always preferred mowing with front mount equipment... and preferably without the engine and hood in the way.

I already have a utility tractor... but after mowing with the front mount Toro I bought last year, there's no comparison. Not having to look over my shoulder to trim or other places that require eyes-on mowing, was a real neck saver. I can only imagine the added 20% horsepower of the GH 930, combined with the ZTR mobility and lower CG.

I might miss the 4wd, but most everyone I've talked to says front mount Grasshopers are hill climbing beasts with the right tires.

Check out the PowerTrac 422 and 425. 4wd and excellent on hills as well as very maneuverable articulated tractors.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #14  
I have a Grasshopper 721D 61" and a Farmking 7' finish mower behind the MF 265. The Grasshopper is a better cut and way faster in and around the yard. If I just mowed open field than the 7' finish would be faster, but around the house, barn, garage, pole shed, firepit area, under corals, under bushes, the grasshopper can't be touched. Front mount rules. The grasshopper is also very comfortable and less fatiguing.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #15  
Check out the PowerTrac 422 and 425. 4wd and excellent on hills as well as very maneuverable articulated tractors.

When it comes to mowing small area's and around any obstacles, those power trac's don't even come close to keeping up with a front deck GH.

SR

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #16  
When it comes to mowing small area's and around any obstacles, those power trac's don't even come close to keeping up with a front deck GH.

SR

For a suburban lawn that is undoubtedly true. I was thinking slope cutting and rough cut rather than maneuvering around scrubs. I thought the OP was focused more on that.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #17  
I have a 2010 front mount Grasshopper 723K (gas). I mow 2 acres twice a week when it rains, and 5 acres once a month. Works way faster than a pull behind finish mower.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower
For a suburban lawn that is undoubtedly true. I was thinking slope cutting and rough cut rather than maneuvering around scrubs. I thought the OP was focused more on that.
Indeed, that is my focus.

However, when it comes to reclaiming property (especially residential), many customers want to keep as many trees as possible. Many of them aren't even concerned with expanding turf area... they just want the undergrowth cleaned up. When maneuverability counts, accept no substitute for a ZTR.

Admittedly, if I could find a comparable flail mower for my small Toro (325D 4wd), I wouldn't have even found this machine.

The Power Tracs are nice, but they're huge compared to the Grasshopper.

They may be slightly more capable on hills... but given the trade-off, I'll take compact maneuverability over excess capability. Aside from the ability to run a boom mower, I really don't have a use for the PT.

Also, I've noticed some people talking about using a rotary cutter, and finishing with a different piece of equipment.

I like the single solution of the GH. I can drive this thing into my step van or straight truck, toss in the trimmer, and head to the worksite. The other suggestions require a trailer, two implements, tractor, and a LOT more time spent trimming.

Unlike most people, I prefer smaller equipment. The lighter weight means I can drive through someone's yard without fear of turf damage. It also means less soil disturbance/compaction in the areas I will be working. If the customer wants to expand their turf area, they won't be bothered with the expense of soil reconditioning (aside from a good broadleaf spray). Otherwise, they might as well have someone come in with ground engaging equipment to both clear and grade.

I've used rotary mowers. I have a bush hog and a finish mower for my Kubota. Even in open areas of tall growth, it usually involves mowing twice over... and I DISPISE doing something twice, when it could've been done right the first time.

I also hate trimming. It has to be done, but the more of it that can be eliminated, the better. Less trimming means higher productivity.

I'll put it to you this way...

My property is a long 26 acres. It lays in a creek valley. Most of it is featured... with ridges, rock outcroppings, creek banks, noles, and drainage ditches. Most of the properties in my area are mountainous and very similar (Blue Ridge Appalachians). Until now, I've been using a tractor/bush hog combo, and my lawnmower for the fencelines. I still use the bush hog for the creek banks. All in all, I spend an entire day just bush hogging the bulk of the open area, another day mowing the features, another day mowing the creek banks, and yet another day on fencelines, around the mill house/dam/etc. .

That's a LOT of time I'm wasting away from family, when I'm only home two days per week (truck driver). This doesn't include the side work I do for others, and any contract work.

For every two day's work outside of my occupation, that's an entire week away from my family... and equipment count is a whole other ordeal of time in maintenance.

The way I see it, this is pretty much a one and done solution for 95% of what I have been doing with five pieces of equipment (not counting the trimmer). Also, it's 100% of the side work I contract away from home... so I just eliminated a trailer (or at least, a lot of trailer size requirement), four pieces of equipment, 1hr of prep work before leaving to the jobsite, and a LOT of maintenance.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #19  
I sold an open station NH TC45D tractor and all implements, including a NH 6' 918H flail mower last fall. Trying to decide what to replace them with for mowing and spraying. I do a 3 acre lawn and light field mowing now with a 60" cut Hustler Z. I also have a 10 acre hay meadow that I have been mowing about twice a year with the tractor and flail. I am 81 and no longer have the strength or energy to change heavy implements or do a lot of maintenance. I have been considering a new tractor with a cab to get out of the Oklahoma midsummer heat and the dust and pollen mowing stirs up. I would still have to use the Z to mow the tight areas. I was wondering how much dust and clippings a front mounted flail on a Grasshopper or Kubota would blow back on the operator in the constant Oklahoma summer wind? My tractor rear mounted flail would throw up a pretty large cloud of dust and clippings, but since the tractor was well above and in front of the mower very little got to me. I bought a Kawasaki Mule Pro recently that I plan to rig up with a sprayer and boom to take care of the spraying chores. Vic

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #20  
Indeed, that is my focus.

However, when it comes to reclaiming property (especially residential), many customers want to keep as many trees as possible. Many of them aren't even concerned with expanding turf area... they just want the undergrowth cleaned up. When maneuverability counts, accept no substitute for a ZTR.

Admittedly, if I could find a comparable flail mower for my small Toro (325D 4wd), I wouldn't have even found this machine.

The Power Tracs are nice, but they're huge compared to the Grasshopper.

They may be slightly more capable on hills... but given the trade-off, I'll take compact maneuverability over excess capability. Aside from the ability to run a boom mower, I really don't have a use for the PT.

Also, I've noticed some people talking about using a rotary cutter, and finishing with a different piece of equipment.

I like the single solution of the GH. I can drive this thing into my step van or straight truck, toss in the trimmer, and head to the worksite. The other suggestions require a trailer, two implements, tractor, and a LOT more time spent trimming.

Unlike most people, I prefer smaller equipment. The lighter weight means I can drive through someone's yard without fear of turf damage. It also means less soil disturbance/compaction in the areas I will be working. If the customer wants to expand their turf area, they won't be bothered with the expense of soil reconditioning (aside from a good broadleaf spray). Otherwise, they might as well have someone come in with ground engaging equipment to both clear and grade.

I've used rotary mowers. I have a bush hog and a finish mower for my Kubota. Even in open areas of tall growth, it usually involves mowing twice over... and I DISPISE doing something twice, when it could've been done right the first time.

I also hate trimming. It has to be done, but the more of it that can be eliminated, the better. Less trimming means higher productivity.

I'll put it to you this way...

My property is a long 26 acres. It lays in a creek valley. Most of it is featured... with ridges, rock outcroppings, creek banks, noles, and drainage ditches. Most of the properties in my area are mountainous and very similar (Blue Ridge Appalachians). Until now, I've been using a tractor/bush hog combo, and my lawnmower for the fencelines. I still use the bush hog for the creek banks. All in all, I spend an entire day just bush hogging the bulk of the open area, another day mowing the features, another day mowing the creek banks, and yet another day on fencelines, around the mill house/dam/etc. .

That's a LOT of time I'm wasting away from family, when I'm only home two days per week (truck driver). This doesn't include the side work I do for others, and any contract work.

For every two day's work outside of my occupation, that's an entire week away from my family... and equipment count is a whole other ordeal of time in maintenance.

The way I see it, this is pretty much a one and done solution for 95% of what I have been doing with five pieces of equipment (not counting the trimmer). Also, it's 100% of the side work I contract away from home... so I just eliminated a trailer (or at least, a lot of trailer size requirement), four pieces of equipment, 1hr of prep work before leaving to the jobsite, and a LOT of maintenance.

You don't need to convince me that small is beautiful. The deal maker that I see in your detailed reply is that you can drive the ZTR directly into your panel truck. That's a killer bonus for sure. Anytime you can eliminate a trailer you've improved productivity and quality of life. The PowerTrac 422 and 180 are modest in size but I don't know that they'd fit in a panel van. The 180 is only 42" wide but with the front mower attached must be at least 10-11 feet long so better suited for a small trailer. H Class