Grasshopper ZTR flail mower

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #51  
Iowa Farm Equipment, the company that retails the flail deck, recommends AT LEAST 25hp diesel, or 30hp gas. I wouldn't run it with less than 28hp. I run a 60" flail on my 25hp Toro Groundsmaster, and it could really use the extra ponies. It gets the job done, but not as fast as I'd like. The new tier 4 emissions has cut Grasshopper diesels back to 24hp... so I'd either find an older 928 or 930-D... or a gas model with over 30hp. I think they're releasing the 38hp gas model later this year.

Here is a video link showing the 63" Flail on the Grasshopper 900D

Grasshopper Peruzzo Flail Mower 16 HD - YouTube

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #52  
Thanks IFE. Was thinking I had
read about a shield but hadn't talked to dealer yet. Should help a lot. I am liking this mower so far.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #53  
Hello tractorworks. Wondering if I could get an update on how you got along with your flail mower after a full seasons use? Thanks for any information you would care to give.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #54  
Hello tractorworks. Wondering if I could get an update on how you got along with your flail mower after a full seasons use? Thanks for any information you would care to give.

Got along very well. There were/are a couple issues.

Deck is pretty heavy and rests on front gauge wheels. If property was wet it was easier to get stuck. Last year was very wet so I did not get to use it as much as anticipated.

Still trying to reduce chaff buildup on radiator and drive shaft. Workable on most properties but I have one in particular that I have to use a different mower.

On dry property that is maintained 2 to three times a year it is perfect. It is so nice driving forward in a small very maneuverable brush hog. Ability to trim under trees without having to look back continuously is priceless.

One estimate in particular was 16 hours as a start, to see what needed to be done at the end of that. I actually finished in 6 hours...

Pretty happy with build quality. A little concerned with built in jack but it works if you remember the combination.

Overall happy with purchase. Sorry for the delay. I don't get on here as often as I used too.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #55  
Thanks for the update. I'm still trying to decide.