Grapple width

/ Grapple width #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
I've been looking to get a grapple (which isn't easy with the backorder situation) for my LS MT3 tractor and have been pondering the pros and cons of the width I should buy. I'm looking at getting a rake grapple and have mostly looked at grapples between 60-72". My tractor front tire track width is 72". I'm also trying to keep the weight of the grapple down so I can actually lift more. I'm thinking a 66" would work OK. Is there some advantage on going wider?

/ Grapple width #2  
PeteN,

Based on experience , you want a grapple that is as wide as your tractor's widest wheel width so you pick up everything in the path as you move forward.

Last edited:
   / Grapple width #3  
I picked this one up at the factory about 10 miles from my residence a few years ago. It's on my 40 hp tractor. It's 66" and works good for picking up brush and logs. You probably wouldn't have to wait if you wanted to make a trip around the lake.

/ Grapple width #4  
I have a Land Pride SGC1560. It's 60" wide. My front wheels on my M6040 are right at 65" wide. It's never been a problem either picking up or raking stuff.

This grapple weighs - 820 pounds. I didn't go to the 72" because of the added weight AND I saw no advantages in a wider grapple. Limbs are limbs and can be gathered and picked up with most any width grapple.

I use the grapple mainly for large rocks and chunks of pine tree trunk. Don't forget to do something to your grill guard. It protects your grill, battery and radiator from sticks, stobs and branches.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Grapple width #5  
IF you're planning ahead, and want to absolutely maximize your tractor's ability and agility, nothing comes close to our 400 pound Wicked 60 Root Rake Grapple. Click that link for several vids and 245 customer reviews.
Travis

LSXR4150volker3.jpg

This guy has made a few videos of his, as well as his Wicked Toothbar in action!

/ Grapple width #6  
I have a 73in wide tractor(and bucket) I have a 66in wide grapple. I haven't had any issues having a skinny grapple. The few Inches on each side dont matter because anything that's only a few inches long isnt going to stay in the grapple anyway.

Express steel and tomahawlk both make grapples in the US and are priced better than most big name sites. My tractor came with a tomahawlk and I'm happy with it.

/ Grapple width #7  
My 72'' Homestead Implements Pinnacle root grapple is 366#, I have been so happy with it. It is made with Hardox 450 steel.
IMG_2633.jpg

/ Grapple width
IF you're planning ahead, and want to absolutely maximize your tractor's ability and agility, nothing comes close to our 400 pound Wicked 60 Root Rake Grapple. Click that link for several vids and 245 customer reviews.
Travis

View attachment 762427

This guy has made a few videos of his, as well as his Wicked Toothbar in action!

I was interested in your grapples but the 4 month wait has me looking elsewhere. Looks like your company makes really sturdy implements.

/ Grapple width #9  
I've had several implements out here and a few were too light and failed. One of the reasons for the HD Land Pride grapple - I knew exactly what it would be used for and that it would have to be built heavy to do the work. I've had it nine plus years and never a moments problems.

The only thing I would suggest as an improvement. Paint it with a quality automotive paint. I DO NOT like the powder coat( electrostatic ) paint that was used. Most has flaked off the tine tips. I touch it up with rattle can black.

Peter - remember - a quality implement properly maintained and used will last a lifetime. A four month wait may not, really, be so very long. I'm not pushing any brand - but when purchasing a fairly costly implement - look to the future. You should never have to purchase a second grapple.

/ Grapple width #10  
the only disadvantage I could see if you don't go wide enough you might have trouble to see where the rake bars are while you are working with it...

I have the 72'' on my MF 2706E, yes its feels heavy at the beginning but it works well and I don't have any problem lifting what I want to lift with it, I don't think the width is much of a
advantage other the easily seeing the side while working within, also don't see the weight being a disadvantage and more as a advantage for leverage and tractions...

I am really impress with this grappler works better then I imaging it would.

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 97
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 100