Glow plug actuator keeps blowing out.

/ Glow plug actuator keeps blowing out. #1  

Tom Solaris

Tractor
Solaris 35
I have a Solaris 35 4WD tractor.

Ran great for ten years, but a few years ago the glow plug actuator burned out. Now it burns out about once a year, at $200 a pop. Glow plugs are fine. No apparent electrical shortage.

Does anyone have any ideas?

/ Glow plug actuator keeps blowing out. #2  
Not familiar with Solaris but most glow plugs and their controllers are similar in function. No apparent shortage? Have you checked each glow plug individually with an ohmmeter to make sure they aren't shorted to ground or opened. Shorted plugs could put excessive load on the actuator. On my previous tractor I went through 3 sets (9 total) glow plugs that went bad in only 10 years. Eventually I found the mfg. had an upgrade kit that consisted of a new controller and 3 plugs different from the original.

/ Glow plug actuator keeps blowing out. #3  
Try to check the current through each glow plug. It's generally about ten amps. Sometimes they will short to ground internally instead of going open. This will cause an excessive load on your controller. An ohmmeter isn't a real good test because the glow plug resistance is so low to start with. The resistance actually increases as they heat.