GC2400 Front Drive Leak

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #11  
I also git rid of the lighter oil and added heavier 90w axle fluid.
This is a misconception.

The hydraulic oil, and the 85w-90 gear oil are about the same viscosity at normal temperatures.

Not enough difference to have any affect on leaks.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak
Thanks everyone. I will search for the thread with the parts information. I'm going to give it a try myself I think. How long of a job am I looking at here? I'm assuming just a seal can't cost that much and the cost of replacing the fluid. I don't have very long eclip pliers so I guess Ill be getting a set of those as well. Seems to me like a pretty typical place for a 10 year old tractor to start having some leaks.

Attachments

• DB55ABF3-4761-4CFE-BA7F-D7EE87217B9E.JPG
    DB55ABF3-4761-4CFE-BA7F-D7EE87217B9E.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
   / GC2400 Front Drive Leak #13  
Took me half a day but im no mechanic. Take your time and dont cut any corners. Watch the hub covers as they are made of aluminum. I used too much pressure on the pinch bar in the pry point on one. They can be stubborn to remove.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #14  
This is a misconception.

The hydraulic oil, and the 85w-90 gear oil are about the same viscosity at normal temperatures.

Not enough difference to have any affect on leaks.
Maybe the dealer gave me even thicker oil? I remember it tool a long time to refill it :)

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #15  
Maybe the dealer gave me even thicker oil? I remember it tool a long time to refill
front axle does take a bit to do, pour some in wait a bit for it to level out pour more in. having the air bleeds on each wheel off does help.

edit: fwiw doing it when its not 26F out helps too.

Last edited:
It seems like the most important/ critical tool I will need is a longer set of ering ring pliers. Would anyone that has done this job have a picture of the ones they used? I would like to just order them so I have them ready when I get the time maybe over Christmas break.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #17  
Ill take a pic tomorrow...i believe I git this one from Advanced Auto

So the tractor sat for a month and had a little bit of leakage. Checked fluid and added a little. Cleaned the fill plug really good. Used the tractor for a few hours to move a bunch of firewood. Its been sitting for a few days now and has not leaked. I'm holding out that the breather was just plugged.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #19  
plugged vent can cause issues.
hopefully all set now.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #20  
Just saw a vid the other day, a dude with a GC tractor, talking about the vent holes (hst and the front axle). Regarding the front axle, that vent could get plugged up, so I'd check on that.