GC2400 Front Drive Leak

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #1  

walhondingMF

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 MF2400
I am new to the front drive system on the subcompact tractors, including my gc2400. I changed the fluid before the mowing season. Over the summer, there was a little fluid seeping out around the fill cap, but nothing significant. I am used to seeing that kind of thing on other machines. Just yesterday, I noticed a very small spot on my garage floor on the opposite side. The seal where the where the hub spins on the axle arm (not sure how else to describe it) seems to have developed a small leak now. Nothing all summer, especially when it was warm and in use. Other than normal use, is there a reason why it would start leaking now? I don't think its bad enough to worry about, but that's why I am asking.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #2  
how many hours on tractor and on last service did you SPECIFICALLY clean the left front axle fill point/plug ?
its very easy in any system to create leaks if the vent not cleaned, on GC series the vents are part of the fill plugs, easy way to tell is they have a slant at bottom. for your front axle its the left side plastic thing.
pretty sure when speak of fill cap you mean this but...you never mentioned cleaning it...and it IS your vent

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak
I don't remember cleaning it but it may haven been working fine until now. Maybe picked up some dirt and is forcing fluid out the seal. I will check that first thing. Thank you

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #4  
Clean off the area of the leak to determine the source. I have had loader hose leaks that have dripped on to the axle. If you not sure of the axle fluid level, post a picture. The gears inside should not be completely covered.

Took the plug out and made sure it was clean. I looked around the outside of it but I can't seem to find a hole for any venting? The fluid level is good. Top gear is about 1/2 covered. The leak is for sure coming out from the pivot seal. Hasn't dripped since I looked at it last but it is cold. I will need to run it this weekend and see if anything changes.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #6  
the left side axle plastic plug IS your vent

Is it designed to just expand to allow it to breath? I see small amounts of fluid around it all summer, knowing it seems normal. I'm just not sure how it does it exactly so I know where/how to keep it clean.
The leak is on the opposite side from the plug.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #8  
What fluid did you use for the front axle?

Hydraulic. Same as the transmission.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #10  
Sounds like the pivot arm seal is leaking and it will have to be replaced on both sides preferably. I as well as others have replaced them and its not too bad if a job.

There is instructions and pics on how to do this as well as seal part numbers here in the forum.

The hardest part was finding an eclip pliers with a long enough reach and putting the hup back on.

I also git rid of the lighter oil and added heavier 90w axle fluid.

There is alot of weight on these seals.