GC2400 Front Drive Leak

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #21  
Just saw a vid the other day, a dude with a GC tractor, talking about the vent holes (hst and the front axle). Regarding the front axle, that vent could get plugged up, so I'd check on that.
This one

Interesting that his was painted, mine is just black plastic, no paint.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #22  
Yup that be it, Hube.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #23  
Yeah, mine's just black plastic, too. Nice video this guy does! Great that he puts in those close-up shots in a second little window. Thanks --

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #24  
So going back to this topic here, I got 2 questions.
1. If this vent is necessary, why is it so many GC owners reporting theirs are painted over from the factory?
2. Why is this vent necessary? If you don't overfill it, even with some heat there's room in there for fluid expansion.

And how much heat can generate in there anyways? It's a tractor not a car. Maybe some of those reports of leaking seals have more to do with overfilling.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #25  
So going back to this topic here, I got 2 questions.
1. If this vent is necessary, why is it so many GC owners reporting theirs are painted over from the factory?
2. Why is this vent necessary? If you don't overfill it, even with some heat there's room in there for fluid expansion.

And how much heat can generate in there anyways? It's a tractor not a car. Maybe some of those reports of leaking seals have more to do with overfilling.
As the fluid heats up it's going to heat the air in there, causing it to expand, and build pressure. The axle, is not designed to handle any air pressure increase. To do so, would be costly.

It's much easier to simply have a vent so the air can expand without building any pressure. If the vent doesn't work, that pressure is going to find a weak spot to escape, which is going to rupture a seal or gasket.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #26  
As the fluid heats up it's going to heat the air in there, causing it to expand, and build pressure. The axle, is not designed to handle any air pressure increase. To do so, would be costly.

It's much easier to simply have a vent so the air can expand without building any pressure. If the vent doesn't work, that pressure is going to find a weak spot to escape, which is going to rupture a seal or gasket.
Well ok again, I gotta question how much heat can get generated in there to cause considerable fluid (both oil and air) expansion, it being a tractor with a top speed of 10 mph or whatever?

When you top off your oil to appropriate level and screw in the plug, that air gap left in there is not pressurized...it's not like you're pumping air into there after you screw in the plug. Yes, with rise in temp, it may become pressurized, but should not be to the point that you're blowing a seal. But if you overfill it with oil, then yeh I suppose it's possible.

Kubota doesn't even have vents on their axle plugs.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #27  
vent does help if foolishly overfilled. fill level is all eyeball looking at gears. vent plug is pretty much over the gearing so lot of splashing around.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #28  
I've been in the truck-heavy equipment-diesel mechanic environment all my life.
I'm trying to think of even one gearbox that wasn't vented.
So far, no luck.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #29  
Well ok again, I gotta question how much heat can get generated in there to cause considerable fluid (both oil and air) expansion, it being a tractor with a top speed of 10 mph or whatever?
Enough heat that a vent is a good idea.

Pinion gears create high pressures.

Working hard, on a hot day there is going to be some heat.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #30  
Enough heat that a vent is a good idea.

Pinion gears create high pressures.

Working hard, on a hot day there is going to be some heat.
I'll argue that it's a seal, it's designed to deal with that level of pressure.

In any case, the vent on the GC is a stupid design...a hole on the top of cap, where moisture and dirt and stuff could easily get into it. Ridiculous, probably why they paint over it at the factory.

Kenny from Boltonhooks sells a vent kit for JD's, at least his is a thoughtful design with a hose that routes up into under the hood.