GC2400 Front Drive Leak

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #31  
I'll argue that it's a seal, it's designed to deal with that level of pressure.

In any case, the vent on the GC is a stupid design...a hole on the top of cap, where moisture and dirt and stuff could easily get into it. Ridiculous, probably why they paint over it at the factory.

Kenny from Boltonhooks sells a vent kit for JD's, at least his is a thoughtful design with a hose that routes up into under the hood.
its not vented on the top, its vented on vertical surface below the spanner wrench tabs (actually in the larger section that sits against housing) and is very small.
just enough to let pressure out.
if you're bored pull one, seal end, put 130psi air into it and you'll see what I mean.
very small hole, just enough to vent pressure if needed.

funny the gc2400,gc1723,gc1725M and the MF1532 I deal with have something in common.
set the front axle vent plug of any of these models beside the hydro fill vent plug of any of these models and you cannot tell difference between any of them.
on all models the axle and fill vents look exactly the same, and cross model they all look exactly the same.
now there are part # differences so...if you dealing with all these at once keep them segregated.

Last edited:
   / GC2400 Front Drive Leak #32  
its not vented on the top, its vented on vertical surface below the spanner wrench tabs and is very small.
Take a pic of yours, coz mine ain't like that at all. Mine's a 2018, so maybe something changed. But in any case, top or side of cap, it's same dumb design with vent hole right there next to the wheel. Snow piling up on there, mud/dirt/dust, it's all exposed to that.

Also consider if we're venting axle pressure buildup from heat when the tractor is moving (especially, supposedly so notable as to blow a seal unless it's vented), what happens when it it sits and cools off? What goes out must come in. So unless this is a 1-way vent, you best be sure to keep that cap spotless.

And if it was to be a 1-way vent, well now you've got a vacuum situation in your axle. If unvented pressure here will blow your seal, a vacuum will blow your seal.

Actually, I just googled a vent kit for John Deere and stumbled on Tim's vid on this. If I felt the need to vent the axle, this is the ONLY way I'd do it.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #33  
no way to take a pic that will show it well enough.
plus the 1725M and 1723 in snow right now and the 1532 under cover 1/4 mile away. don't feel like driving the 1532 down here just for a stupid vent picture issue.

pull your own vent, hook hoses to it to down step it and then hook shop air to it. put 130psi into it while in water. you'll see where air comes out.
did this before to rule out bad vents on 3 units (including my own gc2400) but its March in Maine and not doing now as hoses and stuff put away. still only 20F at night and its coming into springtime.screw hooking up exterior water sh*t over this.

my 2400, 1723,1725,mf1532 vents solid on top. not even a manufacture divit on top.

NOW...the argument that a vent is not needed is a sep issue, but....heres the thing...a vent cannot hurt if setup correctly.
the vents are a one way (within specific pressure parameters) item.
why frigging worry about it so much Gene?

edit, had chance to take pic of 2021 GC1723TLB repo unit sitting here with 125 hrs on it vent.
1723_tlb_vent.jpg
the black mark is grease from when I messed with it in Nov 2022 waiting for repo. still waiting for that. but whatever.
there is NO hole here on top for vent.

and my personal 2010 gc2400, my neighbors 2021 gc1723, other neighbors 2021 gc1725, and other neighbors 2012 MF1532 all the same.

Last edited:
   / GC2400 Front Drive Leak #34  
Ain't no worries here at all dude, I'm just conversating on a message board.

"Vent cannot hurt if setup correctly." Well see, on that we agree. ;)

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #35  
Ain't no worries here at all dude, I'm just conversating on a message board.

"Vent cannot hurt if setup correctly." Well see, on that we agree. ;)
LOL yeah its an oddity on massey end for sure. but the ability to swap axle and hydro vents (on hydro units at least) maybe a good thing????
so snow melted on my personal gc2400 (after morning of blowing...35 mph winds SUCK and plow blade going on truck in next 3 months when overstock goes on sale) few minutes ago and I got a pic.
gc2400_cap.jpg
the dab in middle is some silicone from when I installed a block heater in Dec 2020. forgot to wipe it off when fresh. realized I forgot a week later. most gone but a little bit left in center, whatever.
would have thought when blowing out actual vent I would have erased that but...nope. mommy raised an idiot.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #36  
I'll argue that it's a seal, it's designed to deal with that level of pressure.
I wasn't looking for an argument.

I thought you were having trouble understanding this, and was just trying to help.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #37  
I wasn't looking for an argument.

I thought you were having trouble understanding this, and was just trying to help.
Ok thank you, you were splendid at it.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #38  
LOL yeah its an oddity on massey end for sure. but the ability to swap axle and hydro vents (on hydro units at least) maybe a good thing????
so snow melted on my personal gc2400 (after morning of blowing...35 mph winds SUCK and plow blade going on truck in next 3 months when overstock goes on sale) few minutes ago and I got a pic.
View attachment 788565
the dab in middle is some silicone from when I installed a block heater in Dec 2020. forgot to wipe it off when fresh. realized I forgot a week later. most gone but a little bit left in center, whatever.
would have thought when blowing out actual vent I would have erased that but...nope. mommy raised an idiot.
Hey D, yeh that's how mine is too. I would never have guessed that's a vent until I saw that vid which Hube also posted a few pages back.

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #39  
Hey D, yeh that's how mine is too. I would never have guessed that's a vent until I saw that vid which Hube also posted a few pages back.

View attachment 788565

mommy raised an idiot.

as I get older I realize how sentient that statement is. sucks to admit but...there it is.. :)

/ GC2400 Front Drive Leak #40  
Well I dunno about that bud, but as far as the dude who invented that dumbass vent there on the GC lol...