Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #21  
You claim to know Dewalt and HF's Bauer brands buy the same model cells from the same source?

There is a huge discrepancy in the durability of lithium-ion battery cells. Can't and won't claim Dewalt is buying the good stuff. And certainly will never say anything foolish like, "you get what you pay for." I'd just like to see evidence.

Much to my surprise after 6 years I am still using the same EGo 7.5Ah battery to mow my lawn.

And my 9+ year old Tesla still has 94% of it's original capacity. I'd really like to have a pile of Tesla 18650 cells to build power lawn tool batteries out of.

Back on topic: 15" EGo string trimmer is as powerful as my Husqvarna 124 (or 324?) gas. And about as heavy. Great for cutting trail or clearing fence rows. But around the home I have an old almost immediately discontinued Worx 40V which is much lighter yet gets the job done. It too is on the original battery, older than the Tesla.

Oh and the electrics tend to be straight shaft because the motor is on the cutting head.
You all seem to forget where the juice comes from.. Need a reminder? Keep your Tesla junk on the Tesla thread.

I watch Torque Test Channel on YT and they dissect everything from batteries to cordless tools every week. Why I know the DeWalt and the Bauer packs use the same cells. TTC took each of them apart.

I wouldn't have a EGO anything, all made in China and I like to avoid that stuff.

Echo is made in Japan and here, Stihl is made here and Germany. No Chinese rice er roni junk on this farm if I can help it.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #22  
I have the electric version. It is a beast and doesn't have the noise or engine issues of the gas model. 58v power.
A caution about battery electric power tools: marketing would like you to focus on voltage. There is a difference between 12V and 20V but not really that big. 56v vs 80v? Nah.

The important thing to do for comparison is multiply voltage times amp-hours to get the Watt-hours the battery actually holds. Watt-hours do the work. Think of it as the size of the gas tank. The motor can be more powerful or less, but that is not indicated by voltage.

I use a 56v 7.5Ah battery in EGo mower. Dealer loaned me a Bad Boy (think this is a rebranded Greenworks, not yet sure) with 80V 4Ah battery. 80V * 4Ah = 400 Wh, 56V * 7.5Ah = 420 Wh. Essentially the same. Don't have enough grass yet this year to develop a preference but neither has great vacuum lifting.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #23  
Well regardless the OP wants a gas trimmer, not an electric one anyway so lets get back on thread, ok?

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted
Thank you all for your reviews, input, and ideas.
I'll go to HD online and order a new trimmer now.
Happy weeding. :D

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #25  
I have the electric version. It is a beast and doesn't have the noise or engine issues of the gas model. 58v power.
I especially like the string head. The only unit I’ve ever had that improved on the typical “bang and jamb” technology for string trimmers. No more jambs or reloading frustration. I’ve also noticed that landscapers often use echo trimmers.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #26  
You all seem to forget where the juice comes from.. Need a reminder? Keep your Tesla junk on the Tesla thread.

I watch Torque Test Channel on YT and they dissect everything from batteries to cordless tools every week. Why I know the DeWalt and the Bauer packs use the same cells. TTC took each of them apart.

I wouldn't have a EGO anything, all made in China and I like to avoid that stuff.

Echo is made in Japan and here, Stihl is made here and Germany. No Chinese rice er roni junk on this farm if I can help it.
I also have a heavy duty echo brand wheeled string trimmer. It’s made in North Dakota.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #28  
I love good old American coal. Proud to drive a coal-fired automobile. Sometimes it is nuclear!
Citation required.

An 18650 has hundreds of manufacturers. No two are alike.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #29  
OP specified gas, so I didn't go into battery at first, but since others have ....

My Ryobi 40V seems fine for my light and seasonal stuff. Batteries don't last real long, but I keep a spare or two handy and they'll outlast my arms.

/ Gas string trimmer aka weed eater recommendations wanted #30  
1. Where do you all stand on the straight or curved shaft question?
2. Is 21 cc big enough for the tall thick stuff along the fence lines? Would 25cc be better there?

My older Sthil is 28cc, and the newer Kombi 131 is 36cc.
I can work faster through brush with the larger engine, and it drives other more power hungry attachments better, like the 24" hedge trimmer. Definitely get a straight shaft trimmer.
Someone mentioned Echo's Speed Feed string head... I use them on both of my Sthil trimmers. They are the best string head I have ever used!