EGO electric trimmer review

/ EGO electric trimmer review #11  
Do any of the electric trimmers take a steel blade? I like a blade for weeds as it cuts rather than shredding.

/ EGO electric trimmer review #12  
Milwaukee M18 trimmer autofeed head I agree it's amazing and rare to take the head apart anymore. .095 and about 20' feeds right through.
It does go through batteries as I usually trim out 600-1200 feet in each session, takes three 8AH batteries to do that.

Milwaukee now advertises a brushcutter version of the M18 trimmer.

I still use my Stihl FS110 handlebar with blade for now as I still have plenty of thick autumn Olive , multflora and berry brush to keep cleaned up. even takes out trees 3+ inches which would seem difficult for a battery trimmer.

/ EGO electric trimmer review #14  
Those 3 edge blades are barely able to cut blackberry no less autumn olive.
Can the Ego drive a sawtooth blade, that would be useful to me or a renegade type saw blade.
I hear good things about the EGO reliability, a long term review would be welcome.

/ EGO electric trimmer review
Those 3 edge blades are barely able to cut blackberry no less autumn olive.
Can the Ego drive a sawtooth blade, that would be useful to me or a renegade type saw blade.
I hear good things about the EGO reliability, a long term review would be welcome.
I don't know if the EGO can drive a sawtooth blade but my experience with the three edge blades tells me it can. For years I have used Ryobi or Troybilt weed trimmers. They were the same machine. I could buy their three lobed blade for twelve bucks. OR, I could modify the blade mount to accept a blade with a 1/2 inch diameter hole. Then use carbide tooth circular blades with 1/2 inch holes. The carbide toothed blades could be had for 7 bucks on sale. And even when quite dull cut better that those crappy three lobed blades. Really, the many toothed blades require less energy, even when very dull.
I intend to machine whatever adapter necessary to enable my EGO weed trimmer to accept circular saw blades. For sure it is dangerous to use this type of blade on a weed trimmer. Even a dull blade would do severe damage to any part of a human body. So don't do it. Even though I am going to do it I don't recommend anybody else doing so.
Eric

/ EGO electric trimmer review #16  
My brushcutter is setup for blades, they are circular, but not circular saw.
Special metal guard goes on, not the plastic one.
Still need to pay attention though, would certainly hurt more than a string !

/ EGO electric trimmer review #17  
The only downside (or caution that I'd say) is the type of driveshaft that goes from the powerhead to the business end.

If it's not a solid square ended shaft but instead is a coiled wire shaft, the chances of failure from shock loading is great. The Stihl I have has a solid shaft from the powerhead to the angled gearbox so shock loading is a non issue.

I'd never consider a curved shaft trimmer with anything but a string head, just not stout enough for any metal blade, and I use a carbide tipped circular saw (cheapest I can find) as a brush blade.